Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Submarine Naming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Submarine Naming
    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 3:31pm
Beside the Henry Jackson (Ohio Class), Jimmy Carter (Seawolf Class), John Warner (Virginia Class), Hyman Rickover (Virginia Class) all the state names have been used except:
Kansas
New York
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Columbia will be the first new SSBN (Columbia Class)
After that we should start with the Geo. Washingto, Patrick Henry, Theodore Roosevelt, Robert E Lee, Abraham, etc.
Or we could just go with the Presidents in order.  
I am still waiting for one to be named Charles E. Lockwood! 

All boats up to SSN 803 (Arizona) have been named, add the 4 remaining states, then the Columbia will be SSBN 808?  Just guessing.  

Of course they could start naming them for great inventors/scientists:  Samuel Morse, Nikola Tesla, Alexander Graham Bell, George Eastman, Henry Ford, Robert Fulton, Albert Einstein, Wilbur Wright
OR:
Maybe it is time to break the mold:  Susan B. Anthony, Clara Barton, Betsy Ross, Amelia Earhart, Dolley Madison, Sacagawea, Pocahontas, Abigail Adams
Sports people: Nicholas, Woods, Jordan, Heisman Trophy winners, Palmer, Kareem, 
We are way overdue for another Negro after Carver also.  

Way too much time on my hands!  
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 3:37pm
How about naming after Sea Denizens? It was a tradition for over half a century.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 11 Apr 2020 at 5:10pm
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 4:38am
I would recycle the old names of the boats that served before. Stick with the beasts that inhabit the depths we traverse. In my home county we passed a rule that schools, buildings and bridges could not be named after people. It seemed that when that was done, no one was ever happy with the outcome. Made things too political. As everyone had their own idea of who was deserving and who wasn't. Then sometimes new evidence came to light to show why nothing should have been named for the individual to begin with because of some character flaw they had kept concealed. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:20am
I remember the New York City, a 688 class, my friends son was a crew member when she was commissioned. That and a surface class nuclear ship, I don't remember which one but they wanted to come to New York City and park in Staten Island. A liberal group of New Yorkers decided it would be unsafe to the city and it's population that they were denied parking...I think the surface craft was there for a while but was made to get outta town...

DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:48am
"Naval Station New York was a United States Navy Naval Station on Staten Island in New York City, closed in 1994.

Opened in 1990, it was part of the Reagan administration's Strategic Homeport program."

It was not established to accommodate home porting Nuclear Ships. (I was born and raised on Staten Island - of course, pre verrazzano-narrows bridge.)

Staten Island Base

Edited by SaltiDawg - 12 Apr 2020 at 8:53am
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:01am
Pre-Verrazano??? Now I know you are very old. Wink
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:16am
That Bridge completely changed the lifestyle of Staten Island's residents.
It was not built for decades partly out of concern that an enemy would blow it up and effectively close the Port of NYC.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 12 Apr 2020 at 9:17am
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:23am
Denizen's of the deep again?  I don't think so.  
Do citizens support the Sea Robin?  No..
Do they support the Nebraska or Connecticut?  YES they do.  The Cheyenne and the Wyoming crews gets ushered all over the state when they show up for Cheyenne Frontier Days.  
Naming after people is not a big deal.  How are we going to support the new boomer Hyman Rickover.    
   We don't know what happened to all the foul weather jackets he accumulated.
How is the Jimmy Carter supported?  Unending supply of peanuts and Billy Beer?
I am a little concerned as to how the USS California will be supported but I won't go there!  
I see the USS Delaware, commissioned a week ago was sponsored by Mrs. Biden.  Was that political? Who is going to be the Sponsor of the Vermont?  That is scary!
I thought we didn't talk politics on this BBS!  LOL

Trivia question:  What reactor compartment was the first buried in the trench at Hanford?  

Edited by Rontini599 - 13 Apr 2020 at 9:29am
609EM1 View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 609EM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 12:24am
Trivia question:  What reactor compartment was the first buried in the trench at Hanford?  

None of the reactor compartments have been buried, yet.

In 1986 the first reactor compartment placed in the trench was from the Patrick Henry SSBN-599. When the trench is full it will be filled with dirt and buried.

Finns may have faults,but being wrong isn't one of them.
Bugara SS-331 '62-'63
Sam Houston SSBN-609 '65-'69
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:31am
You are correct about being buried.  They are all still visible.  I doubt it will get filled in our lifetime. And your are right about my boat, the Patrick Henry.  She was also the first boomer cut up at Puget. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic