Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

New Escape Trainer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
BBS Owner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Escape Trainer
    Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:25am
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/subsuitesca4

Edited by Rontini - 03 Jul 2016 at 9:26am
Every increase in government authority is a decrease of the liberty of each citizen.
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:49am
I think they said this tower test was at 37 feet of depth.  Never went to the tower in New London. but the tower in Pearl  was I believe capable of 50 and 100 feet surfaces, wasn't New London's at least that? 

During our Sub School at Hunters Point there was no tower, instead a group of us went into a recompression chamber at the school, when you went active duty and your boat went to Pearl or New London you scheduled your test.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 10:45am
The old New London Escape Tower allowed ascent from 100ft. Usually, it was an escape from perhaps 37ft, but when they first used the Steinky Hood I did a 100ft ascent. That was voluntary and ot required. In my BESS class we did the chamber and the tower. The big deal in the chamber was watching our flip flops collapse to the thickness of a Saltine.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 12:50pm
The one thing I remember most vividly was standing in front of the Medical Officer after your assent and saying "I feel fine Sir" whether you did or didn't. Some of us fools went and did it again and again just to round out the groups. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 1:22pm
During the repairs in NLON on the fire damage in the tower, one of the Nuke MM-1's on Ustafish under construction at EB won a small business Set-Aside Contract to do the pipe covering.  He got his lagging material via cumshaw from EB.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 03 Jul 2016 at 1:55pm
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 5:56pm
Tom,
Please refresh my addled limited memory.  You wore flip flops in the recompression chamber?  I'm thinking we would have worn our dungarees and standard footwear.  Why would that chamber have that affect on flip flops.  I remember walking into it and wondering why it was a recompression rather than a decompression chamber.  I was very  nervous, and wasn't very observant.  During our tower experience at Pearl we did 50 then had the opportunity to do 100.  I didn't like the chamber we got in to start the escape - I'd seem too many television shows where the hero had to escape death as a compartment or room was filled with water.

Edited by Gil - 03 Jul 2016 at 5:59pm
bob dubois View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob dubois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 2:56am
It's been a long time, but we wore bathing suits. I think bare feet, this was in 64. The new tower in NL is a swimming pool. Not the same as the old tower. I did it twice free asent and stankie hood asent not sure how many times.
Bob DuBois SK1(SS)
USS Sailfish SS572
USS Sculpin SSN590
USS John Adams SSBN620(Blue)
Holland Club
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 12:37pm
Bob was correct that we wore our swim suits in the recompression chamber. It was done the same evolution as the tower. We wore the shower shoes to go between both locations. The pressure in the chamber flattened the shower shoes. Come to think of it we did the tear gas training before changing to do blow and go.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 12:52pm
I understand that they stopped using a styrofoam cup as a teaching aid as it's shrinking tended to frighten some. Although I had thought that is what it was originally all about, to sort out the weak.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

I understand that they stopped using a styrofoam cup as a teaching aid as it's shrinking tended to frighten some. Although I had thought that is what it was originally all about, to sort out the weak.
I don't think styrofoam cups or flip-flops had been invented when I first went thru in '54. At least I don't remember seeing any.
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic