Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Mysterious German U-Boat found in Lake Ontario

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mysterious German U-Boat found in Lake Ontario
    Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 1:47pm
I was still in nuke school during the Cuban Missile Crisis but I knew a guy who was in the crew of the Sea Wolf, SSN-575 then.  He told me about it in 1963 so it was still fresh in his mind at that time.  Apparently the Sea Wolf participated in the US blockade of Cuba and, consequently, was depth-charged by the Cubans (Soviet's?).  The way he described being depth charged sounded to me like a very hairy (& scary) situation.  Further, since they had a sodium cooled reactor on the Sea Wolf, a leak would put them at tremendous risk.  I have seen what pure sodium does in water during a science class and a boat-load (literally) of that stuff coming into contact with sea water would have been utterly catastrophic. 
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

Wasn't depth charge testing what supposedly weakened Thresher?

I don't know that tht was the conclusion reached, however I do recall seeing either photos or videos of massive pieces of Thresher Equipments being moved around in a dramatic manner.  Seems I remember San Juan being involved.  Wasn't that where 593 needed a "jump start" from a Diesel Boat alongside the pier following a reactor scram followed by delaying the recovery too long.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 22 Feb 2016 at 2:44pm
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 9:16pm
I'm not sure. We (Skate) were the first to do the testing as far as I know. My best recollation 60 years later is that we scramed almost every day, and since I was a forward puke, I spent the evening at the Mardi Gras at the end of of Duval Street getting prepped for the next day's run.
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 8:37am
On board Pargo in the 1960s in the Arctic Ocean.  Shot a 1 /4 Ounce Tetryl Charge out of the After Signal Gun.  Went off close aboard, prematurely, and it felt like Poseidon had hit us with a massive hammer.  Our SINS completely lost it and headed toward Mecca.
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 6:43am
Wasn't depth charge testing what supposedly weakened Thresher?
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 5:13am
Had fun in SKATE (SSN-578) in December of '60 off Key West. As a prep for the SubSafe program, we would steam submerged at ever decreasing ranges past moored 500 LB. HBX charges. Resulted in a few scrams, and probably more than a few soiled skivvies.
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

They use to come fairly close to us, that they would scare the shyte out of you if you were sleeping...

Now, that's a bony fidy fact, Jack.  BTDT! 
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 6:57am
PDC's were used with regularity when we operated with Task Group Alpha in the early '60's. They use to come fairly close to us, that they would scare the shyte out of you if you were sleeping...
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 5:07pm
"But, this one proves the bogus-icity of this site beyond all doubt ... I'm just saying . . .Wink
Man cures himself of cancer by having sex up to 18 times a day"

Take it from me first hand, this does not work!

Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 4:25pm
We had exercises with these practice depth charges off Pearl in the late 60'd.  We were told I believe to stay above or below  100 feet and they dropped some above or below our depth and I'm thinking 1000 yards away from us.  I was in the after battery and we could hear them go off.  We could hear them when they exploded, and  one went off as our reading light went out.  I couldn't believe something so far away and so small could cause any kind of impact on us.  I might have some of the details screwed up, as maybe 5lbs of TNT isn't that small, but that's what someone told us - maybe they meant the whole device was 5lbs?  I gained a lot of respect for anyone that went through an actual depth charge attack,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic