Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Photo tour of the USS Torsk posted 4/7/16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photo tour of the USS Torsk posted 4/7/16
    Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 7:11pm
https://imgur.com/a/JIBfY

Just below the last TDU picture, is a link to load 90 more (!) photos.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Hagar View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 9:30pm
    So, when did they stop calling it the GDU and went to TDU? I've
seen other diesel boats with GDUs.

Same with the upper hatch being a 3-dog and not a locking ring.

Nice pictures.

hagar
Tullibee, Miami, Holland, Frank Cable, Florida Gold, San Francisco.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 6:42am
The boat looks impressive since the last work weekend. How long ago was that?
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Hagar Hagar wrote:

So, when did they stop calling it the GDU and went to TDU? I've
seen other diesel boats with GDUs.

Same with the upper hatch being a 3-dog and not a locking ring.

Nice pictures.

hagar

Was called GDU on SS485 when I was aboard, '61-64. Fortunately, for me and the boat, I never had to operate it when I was mess cooking !!
I think it became TDU with the advent of nuc boats. We know the nucs didn't have garbage on their boats...just trash, sounds so much more refined doesn't it??? ;)
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:18am
TDU vs. GDU is my error; my boats we're all TDU, so I jumped on that terminology. Torsk does, in fact, have a GDU. You can barely make out "Garbage Disposal Unit" on the Warning plate.  I am aware that a GDU and TDU, while similar, are not the same thing - sorry for the confusion.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by gerry gerry wrote:

TDU vs. GDU is my error; my boats we're all TDU, so I jumped on that terminology. Torsk does, in fact, have a GDU. You can barely make out "Garbage Disposal Unit" on the Warning plate.  I am aware that a GDU and TDU, while similar, are not the same thing - sorry for the confusion.

It's funny you say that.  Painting that in is high on my 'to do' list on board.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 11:01am
Brings back memories.  I served on her sister ship, Quillback (SS-424) - 1964 Med run.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 11:37am
Did my dependents cruise on QUILLBACK out of Key West.
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 12:12pm
BZ to all those Torsk Bandits and all the others who have kept this boat in such a pristine condition.  Looks like it is ready for the Captains inspection.  Great Job to all those involved.  You should all be extremely proud of your efforts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 7:50pm
Working on board today:  for more photographs:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic