Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

100 fathom line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 6:52am
I too have fond memories of that pier. I had posted photos of it along with some of the 600 boat there. If I recall when we backed down from the pier going to sea the stern was in about 600ft of water by the time the bow cleared the pier. My first trip there in mid 60s was quite different than my last in 68. We used to watch the locals fishing off the pier using a beer/soda can for a spinning reel. One day the Governor was visiting and one of our crew attempting to use said fishing gear manager to hook his honor in the butt. Our resident Doc took care of it. In 68 the locals were less than friendly as they were into the social movement. Prior to our arriving some tourists were gunned down on the golf course. About beer on the pier? You add daily ops, tropical breeze in the evening, not being in the liberty section, and cheap booze it's no wonder how that was popular. All the photos I had were lost when the 600 Yahoo site went belly up.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:50am
Submarine Lil only sold beer from the trunk of her car at the head of the pier.  In that she was the Piermaster, she wouldn't let booze be sold.  On the three boats that I went to St Croix on, none of them allowed crew to drink booze on the pier.

I do remember a big old Navy Auxiliary mooring across the pier from Pargo maru on day.  They sent some LCDR over to coordinate Shore Patrol Responsibilities - I had the Duty.  A tale for another day.  lol 
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 11:44am
I know about being on SP duty there. I got myself into a bit of a pickle in Christanstead and my reward was to nurse maid the liberty party. Yes, a tale for another day.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
PaulR View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:38pm
We measured it close to 100' at the pier.  

We came in there on a visit and local dignitaries were standing on the pier awaiting our arrival.  We came in submerged and surface right off the pier.  I think we did surprise a few people that say.
Paul

ETN2(SS) 63-67

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic