Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Food on a SSN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
BBS Owner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food on a SSN
    Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:02am
On average, Virginia submarines have 90 to 120 day; worth of food stored onboard.
Or, put this way: One Virginia-class submarine will have 1,500 pounds of rib-eye rolled beef, 1,000 pounds of ground beef, 900 pounds of chicken breast, 300 pounds of bacon, 5,500 pounds of flour, 2,500 pounds of sugar and more than 1,000 pounds of coffee, which perpetually brews.
Every increase in government authority is a decrease of the liberty of each citizen.
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 9:59am
That would be enough for Blue, but what would the rest of the crew eat?
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 12:55pm
I had the opportunity to tour the California last week. They were serving steak and lobster tails for dinner. When I asked what the occasion was. I was told, "It's Friday".
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Trshannon674 Trshannon674 wrote:

I had the opportunity to tour the California last week. They were serving steak and lobster tails for dinner. When I asked what the occasion was. I was told, "It's Friday".

On Pargo under Steve White in the mid to late 1960s about once a quarter in port he would have a lunch of Clam Chouder and Lobster and invite the Wardroom Wives and girlfriends.  He and our resident hard-core bachelor would stay, the rest of us were sent off to the O Club for lunch and working on getting the XO to let us stay for the afternoon.

BTW, that was, of course, also the menu in the crew's mess that day because by definition we subsisted out of the General Mess unlike skimmers.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 20 Jun 2016 at 3:33pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm
Sounds good, but on an underway SSN what did you eat on day 89+?

AtoZ
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 7:54am
I have been told that little miscalculations like extended deployments were covered by stashed C-Rations in my time. Complete with cigarettes and toilet paper. However I will neither confirm nor deny having experienced this.  Big smile
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:30am
Extended in the Med during the 7 day war for about a week. Ran very short of sh*t paper. The messcooks had to take a lot of the terrycloth we used on the mess tables and cut them into 6" squares just in case. We were told we'd have to go to crews mess and requisition a quantity of one if needed. Luckily, the two week turned into only one week. Perhaps an emergency message was sent.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:38am
Never went much beyond 65 days but the loadouts on the three fast attacks I was on were closer to the 120 days mark than the required 90.
Made it fun for the DOOW for the first 20 or so days.
fortyrod View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by atozdbf atozdbf wrote:

Sounds good, but on an underway SSN what did you eat on day 89+?

AtoZ

I think that those stories of extended periods underway on spec ops by diesel boats are an embellishment. They sound good, but are they really true?  Sea Stories, who can tell the best one? NTINS, My  longest period underway on Volador SS490 was 37 days, and Parche SSN 683, 49 days.

We eat our way down to the deck plates. All the food stored in the After Batter Hatch and #8 torpedo tube was gone. The last three days we were sustained on fried cardboard, stewed cardboard, and boiled cardboard. 

Edited by fortyrod - 21 Jun 2016 at 8:59am
Everything is relative
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 9:42am
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

Never went much beyond 65 days but the loadouts on the three fast attacks I was on were closer to the 120 days mark than the required 90.
Made it fun for the DOOW for the first 20 or so days.

First thing we did prior to load-out on the 637s was to convert the Chill Box to a Freeze Box. No sense in having a bunch of fresh food taking up reefer space only to be empty in two weeks.  Crammed both boxes to the gills.  Only fresh milk taken was in the milk machine the day we got underway... powdered from then on. Eggs stowed in the Diesel Room initially.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 21 Jun 2016 at 10:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic