Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Official names of the four status of submarine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official names of the four status of submarine
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 10:52pm

I know there are four basic status of submarines.  I want to know the official terms of them.

1)  Completely submerged. Everything is under the sea. Deep diving.

2) Periscope depth. Everything is under the sea except for periscopes, antennas for Radar ECM or Communications and snorkel.

3) Fairwater depth??? I want to know the official term of this status. I see a submarine’s hull is totally under the sea, but major part of the sail is above the water including sail planes.  I often observe this state of a submarine while degaussing in the calm water.  I think MBTs may be fully flooded.

4) Surfacing. Totally rises to the surface.  All the MBTs are filled with air.

I want to know the official English terms to explain these four basic status of submarines.  I apologize if these terms are classified, but I believe they are not.

I don’t expect someone can understand Japanese here, but status number 3 is called “浸洗状態” in Japanese.

I would appreciate it very much if someone would tell me those terms, especially the status number 3.

Thank you in advance.

Hagar View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:41am
    I would suggest you find a Japanese submarine officer to discuss this with.

hagar
Tullibee, Miami, Holland, Frank Cable, Florida Gold, San Francisco.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 2:52am

I tried first, however, the Japanese submariner  admiral, a friend of mine, said that he did not have an authorization to inform English translations to me.  So I asked in this BBS.

Help me, please, or those are classified information?

Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 5:25am
It is not known as the Silent Service for nothing. If an Admiral from your country won't share the information, what makes you even believe we would?
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
JrKrup, Skimmer View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKrup, Skimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 9:32am
Hiroshi, please understand that we must - by necessity - be evasive with the answers to your questions. It's not that we don't want to share this information, we can't.

Like the Japanese Admiral said, we are not authorized to share this information, therefore, we must remain silent.

Sorry.
Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:56am
Hiroshi, the terms you're looking for no longer apply to modern boats. They leave port, submerge, patrol the depths, surface and return to port. http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/submarine.htm
SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 1:41pm
The terms for these are not classified but are old and some are not in standard usage.

1.  Fully submerged

2. Periscope depth

3. Flooded down.  Modern submarines do not operate this way anymore.  It was once a preparatory stage for diving and was used up until the mid 1950s  Started out mainly as a means of diving quickly to avoid aircraft threats. 

4. Surfaced

Be Well
Oldsubs
whalen View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whalen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:42pm
#3:  decks awash
whalen QM2(SS)
618G, 368, EB Dept 333, Yellow Front Clerk, Green Door Bartender, and QuarterMANster extraordinaire
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:22am
I for one have got to wonder why his friend, a Japanese Admiral, didn't provide this information to him? That is the question.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

I for one have got to wonder why his friend, a Japanese Admiral, didn't provide this information to him? That is the question.

That's because you're not Japanese.

BANZAI!

AtoZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic