Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

USS CATFISH / ARA SANTA FE - Yankee Station

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USS CATFISH / ARA SANTA FE - Yankee Station
    Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 12:50pm
Whilst waiting for my requested records to be brought to me when I was at the Archives two weeks ago, I reviewed what information I'd already had about CATFISH, including her Ship's History Reports from the 1960s ... and read that on many of her WESTPAC cruises, CATFISH spent a lot of time on Yankee Station off North Vietnam.

I was wondering if that meant lifeguard duty for airstrikes going into North Vietnam, recon patrols, etc. This is another gap in my CATFISH/SANTA FE research that methinks needs filling.
http://ss481.com/
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 1:50pm
I know on my one and only Westpac we spent time on Yankee Station before leaving and returnng to Pearl.  I could be wrong but I felt the biggest reason for us being there was to entice those on our boat to shipover in a no tax area.  In '68 we had one guy eligible to do it for $13K - he didn't,

Before and after our Westpac excursion we worked with the Australian Navy, and we worked with the Kitty Hawk, but not at Yankee Station.  This was from January thru July of 1968.  As we left Yankee Station we had a swim call and barbecue to celebrate the 4th of July and the end of Westpac.  Also all that had bought gun at the stores in Yokosuka were allowed to fire their guns when we surfaced.  Also because of the dateline we had two fourths and duplicated it back to back.  The COB and our Slipper trolled with rods and reels for awhile. and the COB and the leading Seaman did some skeet shooting off our stern.  I'd say we averaged buying way more than one apiece rifle or shotgun purchased in Yokosuka,

Edited by Gil - 06 Oct 2016 at 1:58pm
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
Yes, but were the required background checks completed?LOL 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 3:31pm
Nobody should have been eligible then, especially after a night of drinking and partying in Yokosuka, or Sasebo.

We had a Filipino steward that was striking for EM in '68.  Quitevos bought a gun that reminded me of a burp gun (wire backing).  Back then a lot of guys (officers included) didn't treat the stewards well.  When Quitevos opened up firing the recoil actually spun him and we thought he was going to hit the bottom portion of 524's huge sail, or us.  He didn't and I think his gun was taken away.  The boat had not taken any shooting practice in a long time, and for the few guys that didn't have rifles they shot the boat's 45's.  Also shooters for sharks with rifles were posted on the sail during the swim calls.

Edited by Gil - 07 Oct 2016 at 3:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic