Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Smell Test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smell Test
    Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 3:17am
First of all I've never served on anything other than a smokeboat.  I did take a tour of the USS Los Angeles when it was active at Pearl and I toured what's left of the  Nautilus at Groton.

Does this article pass the smell test?  It says a lot of things that I'm guessing are still classified and without going into that is this article somewhat believable?  Without any real knowledge it doesn't pass my smell test, but then neither would the Glomar recovery operation of the Russian submarine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/d8b808c0-3bf8-3f74-8341-d41c5b19d722/ss_russia-has-a-dead-nuclear.html

fortyrod View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 4:52am
Norman Polmar is an expert so to speak, but this makes me question and sniff

"Komsomolets sank in 5,250 feet of water, complete with its nuclear reactor and two nuclear-armed Shkval torpedoes. Between 1989 and 1998 seven expeditions were carried out to secure the reactor against radioactive release and seal the torpedo tubes. Russian sources allege that during these visits, evidence of “unauthorized visits to the sunken submarine by foreign agents” were discovered."
Everything is relative
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 3:02pm
You know there was a time I wouldn't have believed we could tap an underwater cable. Raise stuff from the Titanic. Visit the Bismark. However, we all now know NR-1 was real. and will probably never know all that she did. With her exposed, I do not doubt that there is an advanced generation deep diver out there. Quite probably protected and mothered by an SSN of most modern design.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic