Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Women on boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women on boats
    Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:02am
Now that there are women serving on boats what is the impact on the IDC Corpsman?  When I went to SubMedTech we were taught very little about women's health issues.  
Doc Gardner

We can't all be heroes. Somebody has to stand on the curb and clap as they march by.
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 2:12pm
Good Question. Remembering some of our beloved Corpsman on Liberty, I have got to wonder if these women will even trust them with knowledge of their problems. Although the one and only real Doctor I knew on Von Steuben was a Gynecologist. At least that is what he told us. Only made one run before he left and wasn't replaced. Plus, disposing of sanitary pads adds to the TDU operator knowing what he probably shouldn't. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:49pm

That is an excellent question and one that I haven't heard discussed anywhere.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

That is an excellent question and one that I haven't heard discussed anywhere.

Nor have I.  Perhaps this issue has been ignored because according to DACOWITS there are no gender differences; hence, no need for gender-related medical treatment.  I wonder how they reconcile the existence of OB-GYN practitioners with their view of reality?  They probably treat their intellectual dishonesty with a liberal dose of cognitive dissonance.Wink

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 4:12pm
IDK Doc, unless the basic systems (respiratory, digestive etc.) have changed since I got out, why would a trained boat doctor need to know any more to stitch a cut and prescribe an antibiotic. If anyone had a problem a doc couldn't fix on board, they'd be airlifted to a hospital.
SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:58pm
Whereas this board does not have any active duty sailors, especially Corpsmen, we will never be fully informed. IMHO This definitely was the wrong forum to ask such a question.
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Doc Gardner Doc Gardner wrote:

Now that there are women serving on boats what is the impact on the IDC Corpsman?  When I went to SubMedTech we were taught very little about women's health issues.  

How does it work in the rest of the Navy?

Do male HM's examine/treat females?
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by GaryKC GaryKC wrote:

IDK Doc, unless the basic systems (respiratory, digestive etc.) have changed since I got out, why would a trained boat doctor need to know any more to stitch a cut and prescribe an antibiotic. If anyone had a problem a doc couldn't fix on board, they'd be airlifted to a hospital.

Gary, I am not sure if by the term "trained boat doctor" you are referring to a physician or a hospital corpsman, since we tend to call both of them "doc"?  However, if the medical treatment provider on board were a physician I have faith that he or she could handle most medical problems that might arise regardless of the gender of the patient.  Obviously, a Hospital Corpsman (NOS G000)* who has received 19 weeks of training in HC "A" school is no substitute for a physician.  However, I'm sure those who determine medical staffing on submarines are well aware of the differences and we have to rely on their judgment and decisions.  I do not know the content of the curriculum taught in HC "A" school but it would seem logical that the training would take into account the fact that there are two genders that serve in the US Navy and the HC's would be trained accordingly. 

Now, if the required medical treatment could not be provided by either a physician or a hospital corpsman while underway, in most circumstances an airlift could be arranged.  When I was on the Edison an EM2 (I think his name was John Schubert or something like that) was found unconscious in AMR1 draped over a 400 cycle generator.  We had to transit to a pick up area in order to make the transfer which took some time since we were on patrol.  I never saw him again but I heard that he lived through the experience.  My point, stuff happens.  We try to anticipate and plan for any contingency but when reality strikes sometimes we are not ready.  There were times when the nature of our operation would preclude immediate airlift or transfer.  But, enough said about that.

* https://www.navycs.com/navy-jobs/hospital-corpsman.html

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Doc Gardner View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:23pm
I went to an active duty site I learned about and this is one of the responses I got.  Seems that part of IDC training now includes training in GYN for all submarine corpsmen.

You may find this interesting: when I was returning to sea duty on SSGN 728, for my IDC re-cert I performed a Gyn rotation at Great Lakes Navy boot camp, & then when SSGN 728 was actually getting females on board, the sub had to go through a certification of readiness to have females, & for that I did a Gyn rotation at Parris Island Marine Corps boot camp!!
Doc Gardner

We can't all be heroes. Somebody has to stand on the curb and clap as they march by.
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 12:23am
I would have thought the simplest solution would have been at least one female Corpsman assigned per sub with the special training.  
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic