Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

2017 USS Razorback - #1 Engine Start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 USS Razorback - #1 Engine Start
    Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 7:07pm
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:58am
What, no hearing protection? You can just about smell the diesel vapor.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
gcconnor1 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcconnor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 4:47pm
Old school.  We don't need any stinking hearing protection.  Just like the hockey goalies not needing any fact protection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GC Connor EMC(SS)/LT USN Ret
USS Ethan Allen(7)
Holland Club WA2STJ
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 7:22am
I remember going to Madison Square Garden to see the Rangers play. Gump was the goalie and never wore a mask. Saw him take pucks to the face. After the game us kids used to hang out at the locker room door to the street for autographs. The Gump looked a bit like Frankenstein. I believe it was Jacques Plant playing for Montreal came to MSG and wore a face mask. A round of boos ensued followed by heating pennies (cigarette lighter) and tossing them on the ice in the goal mouth. Made little holes in the ice to add to Plant's problems.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

What, no hearing protection? You can just about smell the diesel vapor.

They're all deaf anyway, so hearing protection is useless. How ever Walt, I did smell that exhaust, (got that high speed internet).

Nice job Razorback crew! BZ

DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 9:00pm
Was starting an engine part of the qual on your boat?  Did you actually do it, or just demonstrate you knew the steps.  Also wasn't their a procedure for air starting an engine.  My memory is fading quickly.
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:35pm
Both of my boats were SSBNs; mid-80s to mid-90s. I was a bomb-nuke, but had to demonstrate that I *could* start the diesel (never actually got to do it). IIRC, the ginormous Fairbanks-Morse 12-cylinder we had on both boats was LP-Air start only. I could be wrong, like you, my memory is fading quick :(

MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 6:10am
Do you mean "Airless Start"?  That was something we would do frequently, in combination with an "Airless Surface".
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 7:01am
I am probably wrong, but I believe we started our Fairbanks with 800 pound air. There was, I think, an emergency start where you got five ET's to walk around wringing their hands because without power there would be no hot showers, and the Diesel Gods would start the engine. Or was it to motorize the generator to crank the diesel?
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:36am
I'm not sure what an airless start is these days, hell I don't even remember 800 lb air.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic