Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

2017 USS Razorback - #1 Engine Start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:51am
I think I recall our FM 38D 8 1/8 used 200lb, reduced from Ship Service 225lb.
Paul

ETN2(SS) 63-67

Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:37pm
From NavPers 16161 Chapter 2 It States: 

4A1. Description. Modern submarine diesel engines are started by admitting compressed air into the engine cylinders at a pressure capable of turning over the engine. This process is continued until the pistons have built up sufficient compression heat to cause combustion. The pressure used in air starting systems is approximately from 250 to 500 psi.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:25pm
How in the world do you guys remember all that stuff?  On the Queenfish (SS-393) we had Fairbanks-Morse main engines and they used some kind of pressurized air with which to start them.  I know that I had to demonstrate an ability to start a main engine but I can't remember if I actually had to do it?  I do remember an engineman getting a bit irritated with me, though.  Don't remember why?

Some of the ship's crew weren't too patient with 9901's considering that we were promptly sent on to Nuke school shortly after qualifying and were just transients, kind of like reserves were.  (On the Q-fish there was nothing lower than a left-handed, red-headed, NQP reserve; or so they would tell us.)  But, when one is an 9901 ET striker in the deck gang some of the enginemen were occasionally a bit short with us.  (OK, with me — couldn't have been my attitude, though, because I tended to keep my mouth shut . . . at that point in my career, that is.  Later . . . not so much.Embarrassed)  And, some did take the time to make sure we understood the how and why of the various systems.  I wish I could remember who they were.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
whalen View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whalen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:50pm

USS SILVERSIDES engine start -- years ago at a BASH/WEDDING!  Mike Rank-coon on the air lever.
whalen QM2(SS)
618G, 368, EB Dept 333, Yellow Front Clerk, Green Door Bartender, and QuarterMANster extraordinaire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic