Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Iran tried submerged launch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran tried submerged launch
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 4:32pm

Iran failed in a launch of a cruise type missile from it's Yono Class midget sub. North Korea and Iran are the only countries operating these subs. This was in the straits of Hormuz. 

Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:18am
My co-worker in the 70's at the old Hughes Aircraft in LA went overseas to Shiraz with his wife as contract labor for Hughes.  Hughes was involved with Iran through the government due to the Tow missile system, and radar for the F-14 Tomcat.

Jim along with other engineers and technicians went to work in an Iranian factory to manufacture and support the Tow,  After the factory was established they  got a week's notice the Shah was coming to visit.  On the day of the visit all Hughes people were told to stay home.  Hughes told the Iranians there  not to turn on any equipment, or make any adjustments.  When Hughes people returned the following day the Iranians said the Shah was impressed.  Jim said for some reason the workers told him it was a clock factory.

Jim said the Iranians were notorious for screwing up the equipment when left unsupervised in those days.  He and his wife were provided with housing and furniture.  They were also given a chauffeur, that Jim believed was really a spy.  He was the one that gave them their first warning that the coup was coming.

In those days Hughes found it very difficult to impart any learning on the Iranians.  I'm not sure if it was a Hughes problem, or the learning skills of the Iranian.

In any event Hughes, Jim, and his wife barely got out before the Shah was overthrown.

Edited by Gil - 11 May 2017 at 12:30am
c stafford View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c stafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:40pm
I was going to Long Beach State after getting off active duty.
We had several students from Iran in my engineering classes. I was told that they used to pay students to their homework. They were very lazy and only wanted to party in the USA.
They disappeared soon after the Shah was disposed.
Chris
USS Barbel, MM2(SS)
USSVI Life
Blueback Base, Life
San Diego Base, Life
Holland Club
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:51pm
Another 49er wow!

I was trying for a 90 day early out to go to Long Beach State in '68.  I was doing topside watch while we were in dry dock at Hunters Point in when I heard Nixon was going to let Reservists out up to six months early to save money.  I was whooping it up topside so much on the mid watch people thought something was wrong.

The next day the XO at muster said I got good news and bad news for you guys depending on your outlook.  He said the Reservists will be getting early outs, but because of this they might have to double up on watches.  I told my shipmates I'd  do triple watches standing on my head to get out six months early.

Wound up going to Long Beach State (now CSULB) from '69 to '71 - I had finished Harbor JC before going active. It took me three years instead of what should have been two years to finish.  Realized I wasn't ever going to be an engineer.

Edited by Gil - 11 May 2017 at 11:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic