Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

YGBSM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YGBSM
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:19pm
Everything is relative
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:05pm

SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by fortyrod fortyrod wrote:

https://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/23/women-on-subs-integration-mental-health-millennials/74426066/

Looks like the Navy is having difficulty in overcoming generations of politically correct immersive education. Ouch

Perhaps more participation trophies is the answer.  I'm just saying . . . Wink

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:12pm
This is tough . . .

Quote Toughness: Aviation Machinist Mate First Class (AMM1/C) Bruno Peter Gaido
http://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/04/24/toughness-aviation-machinist-mate-first-class-amm1c-bruno-peter-gaido/

This is not . . .

. . . this millennial phenomenon that the reaction to discipline, failure or rejection, generally [elicits] a response disproportionate to what you would expect."

Setbacks and challenges can cause tumult, even suicidal thoughts for younger sailors.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/23/women-on-subs-integration-mental-health-millennials/74426066/

And this approach is not likely to make the un-tough, tough . . .

Quote "We cannot rewire an entire generation, but we can adjust, we can change the environment," he said.
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/23/women-on-subs-integration-mental-health-millennials/74426066/

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:46am
Not saying I was tougher, but I seem to remember my chief saying something to the effect about me trying to remove his shoe from my asshole, if I didn't do what i was told to do his way... I never wanted to kill myself or get depressed. My only thoughts were that maybe the chief would die of a heart attack seeing how old he was...Cry   BTW he never did die.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

. . . maybe the chief would die of a heart attack seeing how old he was...Cry  

Yeah, I used to think those chiefs were really old, too.  Why, even though most of them were a little over 30, some were almost 40 years old, for goodness sakes!  I mean, what the heck did those old ph*rts know anyway?

It's interesting how some things remain the same, while one's perspective changes over time.  The older I got the smarter they got.  So, I reckon they knew what they were talking about after all.  Especially those wearing a WWII War Patrol pin. Wink

Hagar View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:42pm
   My sea dad told me, first week onboard. Hagar, if you
go dink, I go dink.
   Then I'll kick your ass, and you won't be dink any more.

I never went dink.
Thumbs Up

hagar
Tullibee, Miami, Holland, Frank Cable, Florida Gold, San Francisco.
chiefjoe View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiefjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 8:40pm
I describe my early  years saying, "They handle me with kid gloves.  Sometimes they beat me with them but, THEY HANDLED ME WITH KID GLOVES!!!"
chiefjoe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic