Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Dex Armstong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dex Armstong
    Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:45pm
I recently discovered the Postings of Dex.  Been reading for days. (He enlisted a few months before I did.)

I have figured out what most of his posts meant when my experience did not give me first hand knowledge.

Two questions:

1)  What is the difference between "One Way" and "Two Way" trash/garbage?  (Guess: "Two
Way" suggests the can was coming back to the boat after being dumped???)

2)  What is a "Sharpshooter Bucket?" Again in the context of trash? (Guess: Was it the Garbage Cans with holes in them?)

Pardon my ignorance.

Jerry
Boy Throttleman View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boy Throttleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:56pm
Correct in #1 the can came back down.
#2 the garbage cans in the mess hall were tall and narrow sized to take a GDU bag.
I never heard them called that but I assume you had to be a "sharpshooter" to hit one from any real distance.
PS
I came on board the USS Requin not long after Dex left, but never heard them called that.

Edited by Boy Throttleman - 09 Jun 2017 at 9:56pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 1:36pm
Thanks for the reply.  Not having got an answer I also asked Ray and he answered.

I'm in the process of reading your posts on his site!  They also are great!

One point, I think you listed Capt Cromwell as being lost on Growler, not with Sculpin.  (Of course, Capt Gilmore on Growler.)    Maybe it was a Dex Post???

I am so glad you memorialized your remembrances from the early 1960's.  They were also a memorable time for me.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 10 Jun 2017 at 2:35pm
Boy Throttleman View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boy Throttleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:42pm
I dont remember doing that, but if I did I screwed up Sorry.

Edited by Boy Throttleman - 11 Jun 2017 at 8:43pm
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Boy Throttleman Boy Throttleman wrote:

Correct in #1 the can came back down.
#2 the garbage cans in the mess hall were tall and narrow sized to take a GDU bag.
I never heard them called that but I assume you had to be a "sharpshooter" to hit one from any real distance.
PS
I came on board the USS Requin not long after Dex left, but never heard them called that.
setting the scene, the maneuvering room of a nuke boat (S5W powerplant):
Off-frame at lower left, tucked in the corner below the throttle wheels, was our sh*tcan (never heard 'sharpshooter' used for it). Panels left to right are SPCP steam plant controls, RPCP reactor plant controls, and EPCP electrical plant. Back turned to us is the EOW engineering officer of the watch at his little elevated corner stool. 
On the Dan'l Boone I had a watch officer that spent the tedium of boring low turn anonymous holes in the ocean by diligent practice shooting wadded paper balls from his 'highchair' in various directions to, eventually, ricochet into that sh*tcan. He'd make bets with visitors on, say, making the shot 'Off the RO's coffee cup, behind the throttles and into the can.' And then he'd make the shot he called. 
Now HE was a sharpshooter!

Edited by Flapper - 13 Jun 2017 at 2:34pm
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic