Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

USS Ling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USS Ling
    Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:13pm
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:33pm
Unless one of us has some access to a really big Foundation, with deep pockets, there isn't much we can do. No one wants to foot the bill for her, and somewhere a decision will be made as to who is responsible for her disposal or salvage. I would assume a bankruptcy filing would shortly follow.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 3:31pm
Somebody, and I have absolutely no idea who that somebody would be, is going to get stuck with a multi-million dollar bill for this debacle.  But, I will point out it is not the submariner's fault that the sponsor went broke or the river filled with silt thereby physical marooning the boat.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Dave595 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 4:52pm

Copy of E-Mail sent out to Blueback Base Members.  As of today, 19 June 2017, $1,465 has been raised on this go fund me page. - - - - - - -

Friends and Shipmates,

As Editor of “Venting Sanitary Inboard” for the Blueback Base, I am constantly searching the internet for articles of interest to include in our Base newsletter.  I recently discovered the following article published in the New York Times on June 12, 2017 outlining the plight of USS Ling (SS-297), a World War II-era submarine owned by the Submarine Memorial Association which runs the New Jersey Naval Museum in Hackensack, New Jersey.  Mired in the muddy bottom of the Hackensack River and damaged by Hurricane Sandy, Ling became inaccessible to the public and sadly, the museum was forced to close in 2012.  Without the revenues the museum generated from admission fees and charitable donations, the Submarine Memorial Association does not have the funds to move her or to restore her.  Now, not only has the boat fallen into a serious state of disrepair, she is in danger of being evicted from the berth she has occupied since the early 1970s to make room for a large real estate development project. 

After reading this article I was overcome with a sense of profound sadness over the fate of this once-proud boat and a sense of urgency to do something to help.  To that end, I have started a GoFundMe page to raise funds to help restore USS Ling, and have made it my goal to reach out personally to the point of contact for every Base in USSVI and ask each one to share this story with its members in the hope that our fellow Shipmates might consider helping with the preservation of this important piece of our submarine heritage and maritime history.  All contributions made through the GoFundMe web site go directly to the Submarine Memorial Association – a qualified 501(c) (3) organization – and all donations are fully tax-deductible.  Those who do not wish to contribute financially can still help by sharing the Ling’s story with family, friends and colleagues via email or on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media.

A link to the GoFundMe page to restore the USS Ling (SS-297) is available here.  I’ve already had the great honor and pleasure of making the first contribution to this effort; now, I challenge all of you to do the same!   Pride Runs Deep! 

Green Board,

Alan

Alan C. Brodie

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy  (Ret.)

EM1(SS)
USS PLUNGER (SSN-595)
HOLLAND Club
USSVI LIFE Member
Blueback Base, Rogue-Umpqua Base, Olympic Peninsula Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:32am
Here is an email I received this morning with some technical stuff as to the moving of the Ling.

I just got off the phone with Commander Ludwig, and we are in agreement on this.

The Ling will, in all likelihood, be scrapped in place.  Moving it will require dredging the Hackensack River.  According to the EPA’s 2015 Preliminary Assessment, the Hackensack River contains elevated levels of cadmium, lead, mercury, dioxin and PCBs in concentrations exceeding the threshold levels for Superfund designation.  The dredging would have to pass through an existing Superfund site, Standard Chlorine Chemical Company, and would pass within one mile of eight other Superfund sites located along the river.

The boat has been closed since Superstorm Sandy destroyed its pier in 2012 and efforts to get permission to rebuild her pier have been unsuccessful.  Hull integrity has been compromised and the only reason the vessel has not sunk is that it is mired in the mud.

The GoFundMe site mentioned in the message below has raised $465 (yes, that is only four hundred sixty five dollars) since it was set up in December of last year.  Considering the Superfund budget for Standard Chlorine Chemical remediation in place is $11 million, dredging the Hackensack River to move the Ling could easily run into the hundreds of millions if it could be permitted (which is not likely).

While I echo shipmate Brodie’s sentiments that it will be a shame to lose the Ling, there is virtually no chance that she can be saved.  For this reason, I cannot in all good conscience support this donation.

Ron
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:15am
Yet another problem exists. Ling still has her 252 thousand pound lead acid battery cells. I have no idea how the EPA and the state of NJ will respond to the prospects of removing them from this deteriorating hulk. I'm afraid their removal will cause numerous problems and scares.

As a long term member of the Ling team and the SMA I deeply mourn her and hope that her scrapping will be quick and problem free.

Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:56am
Well, since the government, both federal and state, will be responsible for cleaning up this mess I predict that it will be neither quick nor problem free. Ouch
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Dr. Stan Dr. Stan wrote:

Well, since the government, both federal and state, will be responsible for cleaning up this mess I predict that it will be neither quick nor problem free. Ouch

You can bet your house on that Stan...
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:25am
SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by GaryKC GaryKC wrote:

Hey Joe, if I'm the good looking curmudgeon on the left that means you are the other good looking curmudgeon on the right.  A remarkable resemblance, don'tcha think?  Thanks and a tip of the hat to Sir Gary of KC!  Wink LOL

BTW, there is absolutely no way I would ever bet my house, or anything else, for that matter, on the probability that a gummint agency would do the right thing in a timely and efficient, not to mention cost-effective, manner. Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic