Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

PCU OREGON (SSN 793) Keel Laying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCU OREGON (SSN 793) Keel Laying
    Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 3:53pm
Keel Laying for PCU OREGON (SSN 793) 8 July 2017 at General Dynamics EB, Quonset Point, RI.
Here is a link to the ceremony:

Below picture is Dana L. Richardson - Sponsor of OREGON, Dave Vrooman and CNO Admiral John M. Richardson in the hospitality tent at the keel laying ceremony.

EM1(SS)
USS PLUNGER (SSN-595)
HOLLAND Club
USSVI LIFE Member
Blueback Base, Rogue-Umpqua Base, Olympic Peninsula Base
crystal View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:37am
Yep, tie tied too short, clasp crooked, 14 pounds of metal on vest - that's Dave! (God the Admiral's are getting younger, one whole row of ribbons?)
SS-349, SSN-580, SSBN-640, CVA-59, SS-410, LPSS-315, CVA-61, Subase Pearl Harbor
Tom Curtis View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 10:29am
Looks like the admiral has opted to avoid "ribbon fatigue" on his uniform by wearing only his top three awards, as permitted by Uniform Regs:  

"Arrange ribbons in order of precedence in rows from top down, inboard to outboard.  Wear either the three senior ribbons, or all ribbons if you have earned three or more."
USNA[Canberra(CAG-2);Willard Keith(DD-775)];Providence(CLG-6);Sea Robin(SS-407); Nat Greene(SSBN-636B); GMS Dam Neck; Naval Advisory Group,Viet Nam; Okinawa(LPH-3); OIC FLTAC Corona;OIC NWS Fallbrook
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by crystal crystal wrote:

... clasp crooked,...

Up bubble - like hanging a horseshoe open end up.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:46pm
So, it isn't crooked it is just symbolic of dives and surfaces coming out even.  I like that.  And, if I ever wear a tie again I'll keep that in mind.  Thumbs Up
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Dave595 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:10pm
Yep!  The tie clasp has an up angle.  That's my story and I am sticking with it.
EM1(SS)
USS PLUNGER (SSN-595)
HOLLAND Club
USSVI LIFE Member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:39pm
I am a submariner from Oregon and want to know how to get in touch with the Oregon MWR.
Dave595 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:55am

Proposed Crest of the USS OREGON (SSN-793). Designed by the crew.

Alis volat propriis is a Latin phrase used as the motto of U.S. state of Oregon.

The official English version of the motto is "She flies with her own wings" in keeping with the tradition of considering countries and territories to be feminine. However
, because the feminine pronoun in the Latin sentences is often omitted and the verb form is not inflected for gender, the phrase could be translated with equal validity as "[one] flies with [one's] own wings" or "[it] flies with [its] own wings".
EM1(SS)
USS PLUNGER (SSN-595)
HOLLAND Club
USSVI LIFE Member
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:31pm
Back in the day, Ship Crests were selected by the crew and approved by higher up. (We had one disapproved on Pargo.)

Call Signs were different.  They were assigned by someone in DC - a little old lady in the Pentagon, no doubt.

The word was that her Call Sign selection was essentially absolute - you could never get it changed.

We did.  The original Call Sign was "Dingdong" or "Ding Dong."

The letter that requested the change, sent up the chain, included a hypothetical example of us hailing another war ship as in, "Screaming War Eagle, this is Ding Dong, Radio Check.

We'd of got laughed out of town.

They did make the requested change.  I do not recall if we proposed the new one or simply took what we got the second time.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 08 Dec 2017 at 2:37pm
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 1:18am
I wondered how the Pickerel ever got a call sign Paperhanger!  Anybody have one, or remember one that grabbed attention?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic