Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Need Help With Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help With Question
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:58pm
Reading a book and there are some comments about the Main Steam Stops. MS-1 and MS-2.
Question: How were MS-1&2 operated in both open and shut ops?

Edited by SaltiDawg - 20 Jul 2017 at 8:22pm
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:42pm
I think I remember, though it was 40+ years ago for me, but I'm not gonna say anything here. As far as I know it's still Confidential/NOFORN Cool
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:49am
They were designed to test the ERS's endurance and tolerance to heat.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 21 Jul 2017 at 1:17pm
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:20am
SaltiDawg,

MS 1 and 2 were manually opened (after the bypass valves MS 59 nd 60 were opened to warm up the downstream steam lines and minimize water hammer).  They were shut hydraulically when the steam plant was being shutdown (either normal shutdown or during a Scram).  Sign me off on the Main Steam system.  lol
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:29am
Dantini,
Perfect. Thanks.
Was there an "Auto" position on the SPCP FOR THEM?
I do not believe so, however in the UNCLASSIFIED Thresher report it says there was. If one had a scram and MS-1,2 Automaticaly shut that could really complicate the recovery.
To my recollection there was no "Auto" Switch Position.

BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:21pm
Sorry I wrote 637 class the first time, as Von S was a 627 class Boat.

Wrong, pull that qual card. At least on a 627 class. Manually open is correct, the rest isn't. They were tested on startup. Opened manually, tripped to check the automatic trip and then opened again. Now just what closed them is the question. It was God awful fast though.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 22 Jul 2017 at 9:38am
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 3:21pm
The switches for MS 1 & 2 and indicator lights were on the RPCP, not the SPCP.  The switches were right  beside the Control Switches for MCPs 1 & 2 on the upper apron portion of the RPCP. The SPCP only had indicator lights for MS 3 & 4 (Steam supply to the Main Engines and TGs), no switches.  MS 1 & 2 were closed by the Main Hydraulic system.  You would never want to open MS 1 & 2 hydraulically, especially with me in any of the machinery spaces.  The Reactor Operator actually shut 1 & 2 with his switches on a reactor scram, they did not shut automatically.  We need to recheck Sewer pipe's qual card

Edited by Dantini - 21 Jul 2017 at 3:26pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:06pm
Thanks, all.

Wonder if there was an Auto shut at the time of Thresher?
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:26pm
Reading the Thresher report and analysis threads, seems little doubt that MS-1&2 had a AUTO position at the time of Thresher'ss loss, likely to prevent a cold water acident. At some point post-Thresher NR disabled or removed the AUTO function so as to allow a quicker recovery followin a Scram.

I can not find definitively whether was in Open or Auto at the time of her loss. I did not get to my first S5W boat until 3 years after Thresher.

Again, thanks for help. My bad about SPCP.

BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:34pm
Funny those valves had some big ass springs on them, that made opening them a task indeed. Like I said 627 class.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 22 Jul 2017 at 4:09am
Walt,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic