Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Need Help With Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 2:16pm
Qualified as RO on 610 in 1963 but I can't recall any Main Steam valve switches or indicator lights on the RPCP.  There were switches/lights for MC valves, etc., but MS valves I don't recall.  Doesn't mean they weren't there but . . .? Embarrassed

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 4:00pm
Dr. Stan let me test your memory:  As an RO on the 610 when you had a scram, didn't you first shift the MCPs from fast to slow (if they were running in fast) and then shut MS 1 & 2?  Who else besides the RO would have shut those valves?  That was before Thresher went down.  After that, MS 1 & 2 were not shut as a matter of fact depending upon the cause of the scram, and a possible rapid restart of the Reactor was commenced with an emergency high power startup rate allowed.

Sewer pipe - that would be the 637 not the 627 class  Smile
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 5:06pm
You mean I was right and only thought I was wrong? This getting old just isn't that much fun. Forgetting stuff from 45 years ago shows my mind is slipping. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Dantini Dantini wrote:

Dr. Stan let me test your memory:  As an RO on the 610 when you had a scram, didn't you first shift the MCPs from fast to slow (if they were running in fast) and then shut MS 1 & 2?  Who else besides the RO would have shut those valves?  That was before Thresher went down.  After that, MS 1 & 2 were not shut as a matter of fact depending upon the cause of the scram, and a possible rapid restart of the Reactor was commenced with an emergency high power startup rate allowed.

Well, Dan, I have not seen or even thought much about an RPCP in 49 years so my memory has faded somewhat.  Further, I was sitting at the RPCP at S1W when I heard the news about the Thresher, so when I qualified on the Edison toward the end of 1963 the procedures may have been changed.  However, the MS switches would likely not have been relocated; so, apparently, I have just forgotten about them.  However, I do remember some switches like the MCP, MCV and, in particular, the In-Hold-Out switch.   So, even though my memory is like Swiss cheese (i.e., full of holes) some traces do remain.  But, sadly, I failed your MS switch test. Ouch Embarrassed

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 1:42pm
I also failed the location part.  !@#$%&
All of us have referred to the SPGP, RPCP, and EPCP.

Actually it was the SPGB, was it not?  Thumbs Up

Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 2:34pm
No problem Dr. Stan,.  My memory is fading fast too.

Saltidawg; the panels are the EPCP - Electric Plant Control Panel. RPCP - Reactor Plant Control Panel, and the SPCP-  Steam Plant Control Panel.

You may be confusing the SPCP with SGWLCP (Squiggle) the Steam Generator Water Level Control Panel which was located in AMR #2 upper level.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 5:21pm
No confusion - I may well be mistaken, however.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 7:45pm
Did some more homework, and I can not find a single reference to SPGB anywhere.  However, on my first Nuke, the CO insisted that EOOWs had to qualify fully at all subordinate watch stations. When I had my EOOW Final Board I was not left with a bunch of oolies to look up.
Lt. Bell asked me to name the three aft-facing "panels" in Maneuvering.
I gave the stock answer, he signed me off, and told me to check on the nameplates.
I did. Had Capt. White later asked me that question I would have answered to include SPGB. (He asked me no questions, but rather told me he was proud of me and gave me a talk on responsibility.)

I'm quite sure he gave me the same talk when I qualified OOD and also in Submarines.Thumbs Up

Edited by SaltiDawg - 24 Jul 2017 at 9:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic