Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Silver or Gold Dolphins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silver or Gold Dolphins
    Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:27am
I know of two guys that were CPO's and were promoted to Warrant officer. The question I have is this. Does the individual who is promoted have to re-qualify for gold dolphins or do his silver dolphins stay in place as part of his uniform. Or does he have an option for either or.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
fortyrod View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:54am
In the surface Navy ESWS qualified, they would have to re-qualify gold SW. I'm pretty sure it would be the same on boats, but then I never seen a warrent on boats, so what do I know?
Everything is relative
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:34am
Depends on the administrations monarchs mindset on whether trans-dolphins can serve at all.
SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 9:41am
The requirements for Gold & Silver dolphins are totally different, the main difference being required to qualify as OOD and In-Port Duty Officer.  I pinned on Silver in 1958 and wore them for 10 years until qualifying Gold in January of 1969. I went from ETC(SS) to Ensign in 1965. Spent 2 years on a DLG after commissioning and got questioned often about the the "wings" were for.
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:41pm
I wore my silver dolphins and patrol pin throughout my career in the US Army and was asked many times about them.  Usually my answer was followed by a question about Army submarines.  In fact, at my (& 50 others soldiers') retirement ceremony the General stopped and asked me what they were.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Bgurls View Drop Down
Former CO's
Former CO's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:25pm
Wore my silvers (1960) until I earned my gold (1970).
SSR269,SS580(CO),SS582(XO),SSBN634,SSBN619,AS18(XO),SUBASE PH(XO),SUBSCHOOL(XO),SUBPAC(FLAG SEC),PERS42(DETAILER), CSS1(Chief Staff Officer)DAV(Life Member)VFW(Life Member)
smiley View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 5:56am
I would have thought by now that the Navy would follow suit with SEALs, The Air Rorce and Army and have one color for all ranks. .. My Dad was a Mustang Lt Col. when he retired.During a tour of my boat during a family day back in 71 or so,  he noticed the different color dolphins our crew were wearing. On the way home He made a very typical Army vs Navy comment about Naval Officers and we both had a good laugh..I wish I could remember the comment but it had something to do with royality and plush lifestyles..The Army/Navy rivalry seemed to be more intense with the WW2 and Korea Army veterans I knew back then....Broke my Dad's heart when I got Drafted and went Navy LOL.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:09am
Question about Warrant Officers. Somewhere in my memory I thought that the WO1 was not considered a commissioned officer until made WO2. That may be back when the Navy had Commodores, just not sure.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by smiley smiley wrote:

I would have thought by now that the Navy would follow suit with SEALs, The Air Rorce and Army and have one color for all ranks. .. My Dad was a Mustang Lt Col. when he retired.During a tour of my boat during a family day back in 71 or so,  he noticed the different color dolphins our crew were wearing. On the way home He made a very typical Army vs Navy comment about Naval Officers and we both had a good laugh..I wish I could remember the comment but it had something to do with royality and plush lifestyles..The Army/Navy rivalry seemed to be more intense with the WW2 and Korea Army veterans I knew back then....Broke my Dad's heart when I got Drafted and went Navy LOL.

Your Dad was a Mustang Lcol and you earned your Dolphins?

And you and he thought that the Officer and Enlisted Submarine Qualifications were/are identical?

I was an Enlisted man that Retired as a Commander and served as Qualification Officer on Trepang, in part because I also served on Pargo and Bergall, including qualifying on Pargo. (All three short hulled SSN-637 Class boats.

I'd love to chat with your Dad and explain that he seemingly doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground about Submarine Officer/Enlisted Quals - and I'd bring up the fact that I know virtually nothing about Officer/Enlisted Seal Quals.  Did he mention anything about SWO or Aviation Quals and insignia?

Was he a Seal, or just talks a lot about programs that he knows nothing about?
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Tom McNulty Tom McNulty wrote:

Question about Warrant Officers. Somewhere in my memory I thought that the WO1 was not considered a commissioned officer until made WO2. That may be back when the Navy had Commodores, just not sure.

Correct.

W1 was not a Presidential commission.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic