Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Silver or Gold Dolphins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Originally posted by smiley smiley wrote:

I would have thought by now that the Navy would follow suit with SEALs, The Air Rorce and Army and have one color for all ranks. .. My Dad was a Mustang Lt Col. when he retired.During a tour of my boat during a family day back in 71 or so,  he noticed the different color dolphins our crew were wearing. On the way home He made a very typical Army vs Navy comment about Naval Officers and we both had a good laugh..I wish I could remember the comment but it had something to do with royality and plush lifestyles..The Army/Navy rivalry seemed to be more intense with the WW2 and Korea Army veterans I knew back then....Broke my Dad's heart when I got Drafted and went Navy LOL.

Your Dad was a Mustang Lcol and you earned your Dolphins?

And you and he thought that the Officer and Enlisted Submarine Qualifications were/are identical?

I was an Enlisted man that Retired as a Commander and served as Qualification Officer on Trepang, in part because I also served on Pargo and Bergall, including qualifying on Pargo. (All three short hulled SSN-637 Class boats.

I'd love to chat with your Dad and explain that he seemingly doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground about Submarine Officer/Enlisted Quals - and I'd bring up the fact that I know virtually nothing about Officer/Enlisted Seal Quals.  Did he mention anything about SWO or Aviation Quals and insignia?

Was he a Seal, or just talks a lot about programs that he knows nothing about?

Lets see there are a few ways I could respond to you sarcasm. First of all My Dad who was a two war  decorated combat infantry veteran and always enjoyed throwing puns at his fellow Navy Veterans at the local VFW. They earned that right. He passed away in 2000 so you will have to arrainge your own meeting with him.
His question was why the color difference?? Not what is involved ..He know the Quals programs were tough.. He wondered why in all the other services besides the Coast Guard  qual devices were silver for all ranks. A good question. He had a funny guess as to why. He also held Navy officers in a different light but respected all services.
It's obvious that you don't know me. I have been a member of Ron's BBS since 2004 or so. Only recently reactivated my membership here. 

Soooo! you also wouldn't know like others on this BBS do, is that my oldest Son is a Senior Chief SEAL with 25 years service. He's been a member of DEVGRU  (what some mistakenly call Team 6) since 1997 and was boots on the ground in Afghanistan 6 days post 9/11.. He has well over 15 deployments from Somialia, Iraq and Bosnia as well as Afghan land under his belt and is a qualified pilot. (Flying Chief)..DEVGRU has it's own planes and pilots.  So I quess that I do not know much about SEALs. That or the dozen or so that I knew well who have given their full measure. 
He has turned down LDO and Warrent to maintain his flying status on the Team. And there is no Master Chief Billet in where he is now. So what do you know about SEALs??? I would love to set you straight on what you don't know. BUt I see you already know everything already.

Now you are right about my Dad knowing nothing about SWO or Aviation Quals etc. But he was damn proud of his Grandson. And he knew a little something about combat as well as my Son does..Something you and I know jack sh*t about.

I will say this about you .. It seems that from reading your post you were one of those know it all, jumps to conclusions without facts lifers that I would avoid at all costs, and as a result had me starting a short timers chain 1 year before my EAOS into CIVLANT..  I hold my service & and my dolphins close to my heart and have remained friends for over 40 years with many of my shipmates. I Had a few leaders who were major mentors to me while on the Boats that I will always hold dear to my heart. .
Respect is earned it's not given just because of the uniform they wear.
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 4:18pm
I see a lot of animosity here, on both sides, on both sides Wink

Edited by GaryKC - 23 Aug 2017 at 4:56pm
SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
smiley View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 4:38pm
Just responding to the good Commanders slight on my family....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic