Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Modern day Submarine tactics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern day Submarine tactics
    Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 11:48pm
Hi Forum, I am a new member who just registered a few minutes ago.  I am a retired civilian and my experience with submarines is limited to shear interest in the subject, playing Silent Hunter III, and reading a few on-line documents especially regarding the type XXI U-boat.  I joined because I have a question about submarines tactics that I hope someone can help be with, so here goes.   As a layman my thoughts on how a real submarine attack would unfold is largely shaped by the typical Hollywood movie story line whereby one sub sneaks up on another sub and at the right moment launches a torpedo (Tigerfish?) and it's game over for the noisy sub.  The problem is, the instant the quiet sub launches it's torpedo, it gives away it's position.  Not that the hunted sub will be able to benefit from this information since it only has seconds to live.  But, if the hunted sub is one of a pack of 3 or 4 low cost submarines then the remaining pack of subs might well be able to deliver an effective counter attack.  So it strikes me that numerical superiority is the most important tactic for winning underwater battles.   Therefore it strikes me that the current approach of manned sub warfare is obsolete.   

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I look forward to your replies. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic