Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Who left the hatch open?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC Ward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who left the hatch open?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:40pm
http://www.newsweek.com/indian-india-nuclear-submarine-ballistic-missile-sank-hatch-left-open-777804
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:07am
Are you saying the board wasn't green?
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:18pm
USS Guitarro, MINSY, ca.May 1969.

ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 5:14pm
Two Guitarro Stories:

ONE
The Crew of Guitarro were found to be totally without blame in the Sinking of the boat along side the pier during New Construction at Mare Island.  The Crew was transferred out in short order.  Some of the Crew were sent to other New Constuction boats at other Shipyard.

One of the Officers, Doug Powell, a Naval Academy and Sub School Classmate of mine, was transferred to the Seahorse (673 Boat), under Construction at EB in Groton.  I was Weapons on Trepang (674 Boat) also under construction at EB.

The practice was that the Prospective Commanding Officer (PCO) of the next boat was permitted/required to ride the boat that was currently going out on Alpha or First Sea Trial.  Of course, the KOG, Admiral Rickover, was aboard for that trial and often time he brought along a couple of influential riders or observers - maybe a Congressman or Senior Congressional Staffer.

Any how, Doug Powell had the EOOW Watch in Maneuvering fr FLYING FISH's Alpha Trial as they were setting up for the Crash Reversal at the end of the Four Hour Full Power Propulsion Test.

The Admiral was situated near the Throttleman, the dignitaries the Admral had brought along were just outside Maneuvering.   The Admiral was describing how Qualified and Well trained the three Enlisted Operators were as was the EOOW (LT Powell).  He emphasized the years of training and education they all had received under his direct supervision.

To make his final point, Admiral Rickover directly asked LT Powell where he had last served and in what capacity.

LT Powell replied, "I was The Damage Control Assistant on USS GUITARRO."  I'm told that everyone struggled to avoid laughing, but that didn't work out!

TWO
Move forward to about 1976.  GUITARRO's Commissioning was delayed because of   the pierside sinking,  And of course, her First Overhaul was delayed also.  I was the Senior Ship Superintendent for GUITARRO's First Overhaul.  The CO told the Shipyard Commander that he darn sure wanted me to be known as the Ship Supt that Did Not sink the Guitarro! (I didn't.)

We did find a couple of odd things left by the sea water incursion at Mare Island, including an Electric Receptacle in AMR-1 that apparently had never been used.  It was entirely corroded out.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 20 Jan 2018 at 9:05pm
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 7:17pm
I was in Seahorse's precomm crew - as an RO. We were within inches of Thames River entering the bow compartment escape hatch - through which were miscellaneous hoses, power cables, etc. that was a few months before Guitarro's 1st dive.
The bow had a few tons of lead on topside to compensate for a dewater of the bow dome for work and installation of sonar array components. Someone decided the dome could be filled for testing, and only an alert crewman coming on board saw the situation and raised the alarm.
Only by the grace of god go we, at times.
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:07pm
Were you the RO for the Crash Reversal i spoke about?

Why isn't SSN-673 in your sig?

Edited by SaltiDawg - 19 Jan 2018 at 8:08pm
Bob Gawe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Gawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:05am
I was out of the Navy when she sank at the pier and working for Treadwell the oxygen generator manufacturer.  I was sent to Mare Island to remove and replace the generators.  Lots of interesting damage inside the units.  Spent about three weeks on the boat.
Bob Gawe
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:39am
Saltidawg     The seahorse was a 637 class boat, but her hull number was 669 not 673.

Flapper - I was the Seahorse crewmember who noticed how close we were to doing the same thing that happened to the e Guitarro.  I was just coming on board for my shift when I noticed how close the water was to the open hatch, with all the cables and hoses going down through the fwd hatch.  I asked the topside watch what the hell was going on, and he contacted the duty officer.
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Were you the RO for the Crash Reversal i spoke about?

Why isn't SSN-673 in your sig?
I read "... Seahorse ..." in your original post on Guitarro, and it triggered a memory of my time on SSN-669. I didn't notice the hull number 673, belonging to Flying Fish. That also why I couldn't remember a Lt Powell in our precom crew - we're talking different boats, SaltiDawg.
Regards, Bob
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:08pm
!@#$%

Not SEA HORSE.  FLYING FISH.  PCO  Don Shelton.  SSN-673.

I edited my post above which will inevitably total confuse anyone coming in late.

My apologies to all.

Hopefully still good sea stories.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 21 Jan 2018 at 10:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic