Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Way to surface

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Way to surface
    Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:44pm

Definitely an "A" ticket  ride

Image result for submarine periscope humor

Clap
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:52pm
Never got to do that.

We did do a deep dive certification to TD once but no EB.

Sounds like fun.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:16am
Did that after overhaul at EB. Of course the thrill was minimal since it was the 599 and 600 boats. It was the up angle that revealed who didn't properly secure equipment.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:40am
If I remember correctly it was called angles and dangles designed to knock anything loose after refit. When done the toolbox tended to be back to full. Especially all those 9/16" wrenches. Usually we would get in trouble for using blankets to sled up and down Machinery 2 walkway. In twelve patrols I remember an emergency blow twice, once from depth. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:04am
I did a few of those, a couple as DOOW. The worst one was coming into Pearl after an extended WesPac and the valve for the forward group came apart in the A-gang LPO's hand. We started up with a down angle until the DOOW ordered a normal blow forward.
As for angles and dangles I did a few. Underway I used the CO's standing order of X degree/100 ft depth change. We headed deep and a fire extinguisher by the refer ended down in the gyro space. I was limited to a smaller angle for depth change (damn it), because someone didn't make sure it was stowed for sea.

Edited by FTGC(SS) Lane - 15 Jan 2018 at 10:05am
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:51pm
Got to do one from TD coming out of the yards in Portsmouth.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:58pm
Done a bunch.

The EMBT Blow that was the most difficult to prepare for was on the surface, breasted out from the pier, all hatches and openings secured.  Extremely hazardous evolution, Anything not properly secured for a couple of piers over was at risk.

Closest thing to being that scary in the yard was watching the carriers catapulting Volkswagon sized sleds while tied up to the pier.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 15 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
Curt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 8:43am
The "A" tickets were the Cheap Ones...

The GOOD Rides, were "E" Tickets!
Thanks,
Curt
Bgurls View Drop Down
Former CO's
Former CO's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:45am
My sea daddy told me to bring my hard hat on initial sea trials 634.  When angles started, tools and other pieces rained down in the Engineroom like hail.  Glad I had my hat.
SSR269,SS580(CO),SS582(XO),SSBN634,SSBN619,AS18(XO),SUBASE PH(XO),SUBSCHOOL(XO),SUBPAC(FLAG SEC),PERS42(DETAILER), CSS1(Chief Staff Officer)DAV(Life Member)VFW(Life Member)
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Done a bunch.

The EMBT Blow that was the most difficult to prepare for was on the surface, breasted out from the pier, all hatches and openings secured.  Extremely hazardous evolution, Anything not properly secured for a couple of piers over was at risk.

Closest thing to being that scary in the yard was watching the carriers catapulting Volkswagon sized sleds while tied up to the pier.

As I recall, the SUBSAFE manual required that the EMBT blow valves were required to be proven operable quarterly. This could be accomplished in one of two ways, either in port by closing the hull stops and cycling the valves from the BCP, or perform an emergency blow at sea. The problem with performing a blow was the tendency of the EMBT blow valves to blow the seats out of them during a blow. Because of that our CO always opted for cycling with the hull stops closed. Unfortunately the blue crew always performed a blow coming off patrol leaving us, as oncoming crew, at least one of the valves needing seat repair. Not a fun job considering the weight of the actuator and their locations in the overhead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic