Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

A casualty on the Groton?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC Ward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A casualty on the Groton?
    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:01pm
One guy lost a hand. Did someone else die?
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:56pm
I'm hearing it was a different boat (an SSGN), and the casualty was loss of a hand in relation to TDU ops.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 6:39pm
I remember reading a Patrol Report where The Chief Engineer amputated a thumb on the periscope hydraulics while getting underway. They left him behind for the trip.
Curt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:58am
Thanks,
Curt
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:04pm
Gone are the days when a Boomer would NOT surface for any reason..

the US Navy submarine USS Georgia off Cartagena, Spain, the country’s maritime safety agency Salvamento Maritimo said. 

As informed, the medical evacuation was carried out in the morning hours of March 28.

Salvamento Maritimo said the crewman was evacuated as it lost his hand. However, the agency has not disclosed any further details.

My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Rontini599 Rontini599 wrote:

I heard that the SSBN's spend a lot less time on alert than we did.

Don't know the program for the SSGN's.
Curt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:54pm
This is NOT an SSBN...

It's essentially an SSN...  A really BIG SSN...

Edited by Curt - 02 Apr 2018 at 1:55pm
Thanks,
Curt
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:26pm
We surfaced once on the 659 during the 70s. Middle of the med, middle of a moonless night, with no running lights, to cut away the fishing net and cables entangled in the fair water planes.

Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Curt Curt wrote:

This is NOT an SSBN...

It's essentially an SSN...  A really BIG SSN...

A really big SSGN-729, to be precise.
Wink
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

Originally posted by Rontini599 Rontini599 wrote:

I heard that the SSBN's spend a lot less time on alert than we did.

Don't know the program for the SSGN's.

Don't know if you heard about it Chris, but on the 610 we surfaced one night mid-patrol to off load a guy who was found unconscious by the 400 cycle generator in AMR1.  Apparently he was electrocuted while servicing it.  As I recall he was a nuke EM2 so I'm not sure why he would be doing that?  I'm not sure where we were but the injection temp. was really cold and it happened sometime in 1964, I think; not really sure about that either -- could have been '65.  But, I do remember the guy's name . . . which I do find weird.  Never heard any more about him after that.  But, not long ago I saw his photo posted on line from a 610 reunion so I guess he made it.  He was a good guy so I was glad to see that photo.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic