Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

A casualty on the Groton?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Dr. Stan Dr. Stan wrote:

Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

Originally posted by Rontini599 Rontini599 wrote:

Gone are the days when a Boomer would NOT surface for any reason..

I heard that the SSBN's spend a lot less time on alert than we did.

Don't know the program for the SSGN's.

Don't know if you heard about it Chris, but on the 610 we surfaced one night mid-patrol to off load a guy who was found unconscious by the 400 cycle generator in AMR1.  Apparently he was electrocuted while servicing it.  As I recall he was a nuke EM2 so I'm not sure why he would be doing that?  I'm not sure where we were but the injection temp. was really cold and it happened sometime in 1964, I think; not really sure about that either -- could have been '65.  But, I do remember the guy's name . . . which I do find weird.  Never heard any more about him after that.  But, not long ago I saw his photo posted on line from a 610 reunion so I guess he made it.  He was a good guy so I was glad to see that photo.

During my time on 610 we surfaced on two Med patrols; once for a "back aft" casualty and once for a data transfer to the Dace.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

During my time on 610 we surfaced on two Med patrols; once for a "back aft" casualty and once for a data transfer to the Dace.

We had a "back aft" casualty once as well.  It was a fire in the bilges in the Engineering compartment but we didn't surface.  Just buttoned everything up and sweated in place.  After it was put out we came to PD and raised the snorkel to get rid of the smoke.  I happened to get caught in the tunnel and had to hang out there wearing a OBA during the entire kerfuffle.  Got mighty hot in there I can tell you.  The intrepid nukes took care of it and all was well.  But, I can't remember whether it was on the 610 or the 624.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:24pm
Surfaced in '76 to medivac an A-ganger hit in the face while working on a hydraulic accumulator issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic