Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

SSN (711)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:39pm

You wrote that you were not familiar with this story so I posted the link to it.

I thought you might find it interesting.

Edited by 610ET - 19 Apr 2018 at 1:53pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:07pm
Never mind.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 21 Apr 2018 at 7:35pm
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:48pm

You're welcome.
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

You're welcome.

I do remember Mooney and Hagar both when they posted here. And thanks for posting that news story. I remember seeing the photos of 711 when she returned and in dry dock...That was no grounding of 711. That boat crashed into a mountain at full speed. To me grounding infers bouncing off the bottom, or something similar like that.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:57pm
Never mind. Sorry.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 21 Apr 2018 at 7:35pm
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:25am
Why so touchy! Just a matter of opinions, regardless of what navy official designates it.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

Why so touchy! Just a matter of opinions, regardless of what navy official designates it.

Good question.

In a "normal" grounding there isn't a death and the majority of the crew are not injured.

Pretty obvious that this was a whole different event.

Be interesting to see how the Navy classified it.

He certainly wasn't appreciative of learning about a serious submarine event that he somehow had missed.

Maybe he just likes to be "right?"
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:52am
OK Enough of this argument of what the accident was called. The Navy calls it a grounding, so it was a grounding.
Quote "Although the grounding incident compelled me to punish [him] and remove him from command, in my opinion it does not negate 19 years of exemplary service," the admiral wrote. "Prior to the grounding incident, USS San Francisco demonstrated a trend of continuing improvement and compiled an impressive record of achievement under [Mooney's] leadership. Moreover, the crew's post-grounding response under his direct leadership was commendable and enabled [the sub's] recovery and safe return to port.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=18257

COMMAND INVESTIGATION OF THE APPARENT SUBMERGED GROUNDING OF THE USS SAN FRANCISCO
https://www.npr.org/documents/2005/may/uss_sanfrancisco_sub.pdf
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:16am
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

OK Enough of this argument of what the accident was called. The Navy calls it a grounding, so it was a grounding.
Quote "Although the grounding incident compelled me to punish [him] and remove him from command, in my opinion it does not negate 19 years of exemplary service," the admiral wrote. "Prior to the grounding incident, USS San Francisco demonstrated a trend of continuing improvement and compiled an impressive record of achievement under [Mooney's] leadership. Moreover, the crew's post-grounding response under his direct leadership was commendable and enabled [the sub's] recovery and safe return to port.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=18257

COMMAND INVESTIGATION OF THE APPARENT SUBMERGED GROUNDING OF THE USS SAN FRANCISCO
https://www.npr.org/documents/2005/may/uss_sanfrancisco_sub.pdf

Mike, all of the above is navy BS in trying to mitigate the fact that this boat crashed into a mountain in which personel died, many were injured and the boat was in danger of sinking if not for the bravery of it's crew.
Period; case closed.

DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:02pm
I stumbled across an alternative explanation of the incident.  I DO NOT vouch for the validity of this point of view.  This for your amusement and entertainment ONLY. 

REMEMBER THAT SUMATRA QUAKE TSUNAMI CAUSED BY USS SAN FRANCISCO SUBMARINE EXPERIMENT THAT KILLED FEW HUNDRED THOUSANDS.. (Parts I, II & III)

http://defensetiger.blogspot.com/search/label/USS%20San%20Francisco

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic