Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Ye olde enginemen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ye olde enginemen
    Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 12:48pm
Same answer that I put on the other board

If the air banks are depleted enough so engine air starting pressure/volume cannot be provided the engine must be started by an airless start.

An airless start is done by energizing the generator as a motor to spin the engine for starting. 

The energizing voltage/current is supplied from one of three places. 

1.  The main motor spinning and acting as a generator.  Boat comes up to some relatively fast speed. The motor lever is shifted to stop and the motor continues to spin driven by the screw moving through the water. 

2. Another generator with a running engine.

3. The battery

All three methods require interlocks being defeated/bypassed, for example the interlock that prevents a dead generator (not running) being attached to the motor bus.  There are others.  Defeating these interlocks is in direct violation of BuShips and/or NavSea instructions.  Thus the operation needs Captains approval and he is liable to answer for the violation.

I remember discussing and rehearsing the operation of airless starts and being asked as a Senior Controllerman qualification question to describe the procedure.  However that was 50 years ago and that part of my mental notebooks seems to be deficient in details.

I would refer a person who wants to figure it out to go to HNSA website, look in the fleet submarine manual, electrical section and wade through the interlock portion of the cubicle discussion. 

The airless start has been done and is possible however, the chance of killing a generator, motor, cubicle section or all three is not insignificant.

Be Well
Oldsubs
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 8:15am

Thanks Ken. I knew it had something to do with the generators that spun the engine, instead of the normal air process.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 2:14pm
Been aboard for a few, but not back in maneuvering. As I recall, the OOD got us up to Standard on the battery and then ordered all stop. The controller men then did some magic with the sticks which caused the still turning shafts, which were still turning the motors, which then became generators to provide amps to motorize the generators which rolled the diesels.  Probably not the best explanation, but it's all my 80 year old memory can recall.
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:32am
I also put the same question on Gentry's BBS.

Over the years, after I got out of the navy and began participating on these BBS's, I heard about "airless" starts of our engines, which were Fairbanks. Never having been involved in one of these evolution's, I am interested in finding in how to do one. I understand it has something to do with reversing the generators??
Has anyone been involved an airless start? Confused
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic