Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Draft mark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Draft mark
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:05am
OK, You are just reporting aboard a USS Seawolf  (SSN 21).  You need to supervise the painting of draft marks. Lets say the draft marks on the bow run up to 30 feet.  (I don't know whether they actually do.)  You are smarter than the average rock and "I don't need to lookup no f'in plans, I'm qualified!!!"

How far it is between the top of the numeral "29" and the bottom of the numeral "30". 

Be Well
Oldsubs
ftg1ss View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftg1ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:19am
6 inches
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:24am
Not six inches.

Be Well
Oldsubs
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:16pm
18"
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:55pm
nice try, not 18"
Be Well
Oldsubs
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:03pm
How bout I just paint over the old ones and not worry about it?
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm
Yeah.  Could always use the center punch dimples to trace the new numbers. 
Be Well
Oldsubs
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:38pm
Looking at the below photo one can see an officer with a briefcase in his left hand.  The length of his left foot is about the same distance as from the top of the numeral 5 to the bottom of the numeral 36.  If he wore a #10 shoe and it was actually 10" long then the distance between the numbers would also be 10".

Therefore, my guess is 10".

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 3:01pm
You are as close as anyone.  The numbers are 6" high and 6" apart when vertical.  But when they are painted on the curved surface of the boat they must be larger and further apart so they project properly from the surface to the vertical.  A bit of math shows that the 29's top will be just a bit more than 9" from the 30's bottom and the numerals 3 and 0 will be about 9.5 inches high. 

Be Well
Oldsubs
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:32pm
wow, that made my head hurt. Here all along all I thought they were for was as a target to hit when bouncing a coffee cup off the hull during mid watch.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic