Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Najples, Italy Mayor down on Nukes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Najples, Italy Mayor down on Nukes
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:35pm

Now the mayor of Naples, Italy, is demanding the submarine stay far away from his self-designated “nuclear-free” city, according to several Italian media reports.

Mayor Luigi de Magistris penned a letter last week to Rear Adm.Arturo Faraone, head of the Naples port authority, expressing his displeasure with the John Warner’s presence near his city. The nuclear-powered Warner passed through the Bay of Naples in late March after the NATO Dynamic Manta exercise. Less than three weeks later, the sub was firing missiles into Syria from its position in the eastern Mediterranean.

My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 4:23pm
I was moored in Naples on board Quillback (SS-424)  in the Summer of 1964, with the Great White Fleet anchored out.  (Enterprise, Long beach, and Long Beach.)
https://www.nytimes.com/1964/10/03/atom-ships-world-cruise-great-white-fleet.html

I remember two things about that visit - the three Nukes were debarking all of their Sailors that had enlistments expiring in the next few months and I couldn't get a Space-Available plane seat because they had priority to get home and mustered out over my Emergency Leave.  Also, when we tied up in a Med Moor I got to make the landing U/I as I had once seen a movie about doing it.

Oh, and when none of the crew could get across the Quarterdeck because of haircuts, hydraulic oil, etc, etc.  The "barber" gave me a haircut and I was sent along with another guy.  We squeaked by.

In those days, Naples was a hole!

Edited by SaltiDawg - 23 Apr 2018 at 4:28pm
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:56am
Ah Naples. If you weren't familiar with how to do sea chest blows, you were about to become very proficient. The two Free Swimmers aboard would probably even get to go over the side and pull plastic bags off the grids. Trash dump incorporated would be a better term.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic