Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

May - June 2018 Dolphin Brotherhood Posted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May - June 2018 Dolphin Brotherhood Posted
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:03pm
Shipmates,

The May - June 2018 issue of the Seattle USSVI Base newsletter
has been posted and is ready to view and download.

This issue has Base updates, news about the decommissioning of a couple submarines, along with other submarine related articles from around the world.

Hardcopies will be mailed out later this week. I hope you all enjoy the newsletter.

As always, remember to check Seattle Base Blog for base updates and other articles of interest.

Dave Schueler
Seattle Base Newsletter Editor
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:40pm

Interesting article on the Aluminaut. In the article it states that she could dive much deeper than other submarines because she could stand ocean pressure of up to 7,500 psi.

Most of our boats were built of HY 80 steel which could take up to 80,000 psi but we couldn't dive anywhere near  the Aluminaut's wiki stated test depth of 17,000 feet.

To this non-engineer it doesn't seem to add up.

What am I missing?

Edited by 610ET - 02 May 2018 at 3:41pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:00pm
I'm apparently not up to understanding what a grounding is in Navy Parlance , so I won't answer this.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 02 May 2018 at 7:00pm
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

I'm apparently not up to understanding what a grounding is in Navy Parlance , so I won't answer this.

How old are you, 12?

Good grief.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:46pm
I'm the one that said, " With a "grounding" of virtually any sort, pretty understandable if NAV, CO, and Quartergasket(s), not to mention OOD have some blame.
"Some blame" means career ending, at least.

I'm not familiar with this grounding other than brief reference in this book - by an author that had not earned any respect as shown by his admissions."

To which you replied, "
Be interesting to see how the Navy classified it.

He certainly wasn't appreciative of learning about a serious submarine event that he somehow had missed.

Maybe he just likes to be "right?"

Next, a couple of posters each cited the investigation as referring to the GROUNDING, just as I had referred to the GROUNDING in discussing what typically happens to the CO, OOD, Nav, QMs, etc. GROUNDING is the correct term, notwithstanding what a person with a couple of years in might prefer.

I'm the 12 year old that understands the answer to your question.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 02 May 2018 at 8:09pm
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:11am
As I said, good grief.

In that other thread which has nothing to do with this one you early on stated that you weren't familiar with the San Fran accident.

I then posted a link to what happened  so that you would learn and you responded, not with a thank you but a bizarre response of "er, OK". Also, I didn't say that it wasn't a grounding. I said that it wasn't your average grounding and wondered how it was classified by the navy.

Others then called you out and you deleted your posts and said never mind.

I have no idea why you keep responding to me negativly but here is a thought, just ignore what I write if I bother you that much. Also, why respond if you don't know the answer to the question?

Edited by 610ET - 03 May 2018 at 12:44am
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:26am
The yield strength of the material is the amount of force needed to just deform the material to the point that the deformation is permanent.   The test is normally one of tensile strength or 'pull'.  A sample of the material is placed in a machine, fastened at both ends then pulled apart.  At some point, the material, if the force is removed, will not 'spring back' to its original size.  This is then the yield strength.  A further pull will deform the material up to its failure point. 

The above is a simplified explanation.  The important points are that the test is a tensile strength test.  When we think of our pressure hulls, the sea pressure will generally put a compression on the hull steel not a tension (they are in opposite directions).  This too is a simplified explanation. 

The depth to which we might safely submerge is based on many things other than the 'raw' strength number of the hull material.  Other considerations are, but not limited to, packing gland holding pressure for sea systems, sea water piping, hull opening strength, hull geometry, speed/depth operating envelope limits, etc. 

The Aluminaut was not made to operate like a modern US submarine thus had less limits to its possible operating depths than we do (did). 

The Aluminaut's operating depth has no relation to our operating depths. The "HY-" number is a general descriptor for an alloy of steel.  It does not have a direct relation to our operating depths but does have a general relationship to the raw strength of the hull steel. 

You are not missing anything that a couple of engineering courses wouldn't cure. 
Be Well
Oldsubs
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

Others then called you out and you deleted your posts and said never mind.

Um, no he didn't.
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:16am
Originally posted by oldsubs oldsubs wrote:

You are not missing anything that a couple of engineering courses wouldn't cure. 

Thank you but that ship has sailed.

SmileSmile

Edited by 610ET - 03 May 2018 at 11:02am
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

Um, no he didn't.

I know!  I even apologized and posted, "Never mind. Sorry."

Edited by SaltiDawg - 05 May 2018 at 5:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic