Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Qualified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:49pm
This year, January was 58 years. On Carbonero '59-60 WestPac. Amazing how time flies. Made EM3 in May 1960 then to Nuc. School at MINSY in June 1960. Good times in the old BOQ they we had as living accommodations. 
SS-337, SSN-595 Plankowner, Holland Club
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:51pm
October will be 50 for me.

After about 15 months at Charleston Navy Shipyard and associated trials I was determined to finish up on the first patrol which I was able to do.

Amazing experience.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:12pm
Great to be able to Qualify with two months sea time + trials.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 16 May 2018 at 6:12pm
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:09pm
I know you were talking to 610ET, but that was the same boat (pun intended) I was in. Spent my first two years on Simon Bolivar in the yards, command wouldnt authorize us to ride other boats to get qualified. I think when we left after A+B+C trials, only about half the crew was SS. We did an ORSE on the way to AUTEC/TRE, got my fish on the way from that to DASO/OT/FOT. Drank my dolphins in that tiny enlisted club on Port Canaveral before venturing out to the Dollhouse in Jacks. Good times, indeed.

Re: pinning - we called it "tacking on". When the CO pinned me, he pushed the pins through the little "frogs" on the back... winked at me and told me I'd thank him later. He was right. Had about 30 guys lined up to ensure my fish were on tight. I recall a similar ritual when making rate (the "tacking on the crow"). It never even occurred to any of us back then that the practice was abusive. 

Anecdote - (supposedly) the tacking thing dates to the Middle Ages, when a King was knighting someone, amongst all the other rituals, the King would ask the prospective knight if he would "take the buffet" (that's buffet as in "hit" not as in "all you can eat"). Anyway, no self-respecting knight would refuse, and any other knights present, including (lastly) the King, would strike the new knight square in the chest, then the King would say something to the effect of "Let that be the last you take unanswered". No idea if it's true or not.. learned that from some SCA re-enactors when I was a lad. Might be total BS, but it sure sounds good.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:53am

Back then we had 1 year (two patrols) to qualify which was approximately 6 months on the boat, 4 months of that at sea.

Reporting aboard during a yard period delays the process but it does provide an opportunity to see a lot of the systems when they are opened up. One doesn't have to be underway to trace/learn systems.

Once trials start things start to catch up. At that point the boat is in the water and even when not at sea there are quals available.

In my case by the first patrol I was pretty far along. As I recall that took about 30 days. That patrol was only about 45 days and we were on 4/8 watches so while finishing up there wasn't a lot of rack time.

Like everyone else, I wanted those fish.

Edited by 610ET - 17 May 2018 at 10:54am
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 3:02pm
Qualified Silver in 1/57 in USS Grampus (SS523)  
Qualified  Gold in 1/69 in USS Gudgeon (SS567)
Wonder if I'll get a gold star on my Holland Club patch for the second 50 year anniversary in January?
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Palm Bay Ken Palm Bay Ken wrote:

Qualified Silver in 1/57 in USS Grampus (SS523)  
Qualified  Gold in 1/69 in USS Gudgeon (SS567)
Wonder if I'll get a gold star on my Holland Club patch for the second 50 year anniversary in January?

I would say that you earned it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic