Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Columbia Class attributes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 11:04am
Is the ducted propulsor you refer to similar to the ones in the below graphics?

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:20pm
Precisely.  Note the control surfaces are forward of the duct or shroud...

The UK has worked closely with the US for over forty years in the area of Submarine Propulsors and they have sent many variants to sea.

Dr. Jerry

Edited by SaltiDawg - 09 Jun 2018 at 7:37pm
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:40pm
Now, I know very little about this as it very far outside my area of expertise, but I did study fluid flow in nuke school 56 years ago from which I remember 2 things:  laminar flow and turbulent flow.  At any rate, it seems to me that what you are saying is that having control surfaces forward of the duct or shroud which could distort the inflow causing it to affect the control surface action is not a good thing because it could increase noise and reduce efficiency.  And that having the control surfaces aft and outside the flow stream is better since it would not do that.  So, Dr. Jerry, am I misinterpreting this?

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic