Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Submarine Names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:15am
I had the honor to serve on the only Ohio-class not named after a state - USS Henry M. Jackson SSBN 730. The keel was laid as USS Rhode Island, but the name was changed before commissioning. SSBN 740 later became USS Rhode Island. 

While aboard, I had a ballcap from the precom days - it had the 730 on it with the name Rhode Island. Wish I still had it. Anyway, an oolie from those days - there is a fame in the Missile Compartment outboards where one can find a small plate welded to the frame member on which is inscribed "USS Rhode Island - SSBN 730" . Very difficult to get to. Also a good place to hide nap clean during field day.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:26am
Scoop Jackson and Warren Magnuson were my two Senators when I resided in WA.  While Jackson was Junior to Magnuson, between the two of them they were so powerful and senior that WA got lots of Goodies.

The last public school built in the USA with Federal Funds (Zero State or Local) was the Elementary School built outside the Keyport Annex in the Mid-1970s. The fence zigs around the school  IIRC.

You probably know the Annex by its subsequent name, SUBASE BANGOR.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 13 Jun 2018 at 10:29am
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:13pm
I loved Bangor. Gorgeous country, enormous base. Had no idea it had been a annex to Keyport. My son was born at the Naval Hospital there, situated roughly between Keyport and Bangor. If I recall correctly, the total bill for his delivery by c-section amounted to $28. My daughter was born a few years earlier on Pease Air Force Base in Portsmouth, NH. She cost $35. More expensive due to complications during delivery. Can't beat those prices in the "real" world.

I'm sure some of you were on Bangor at some point. It just "felt" different than any other base I was stationed on or visited (in order: Great Mistakes (boot), Groton (sub school), Dam Neck (A & C schools), PNSY (641 overhaul), AUTEC (stuff), NWS Charleston (other stuff), Port Canaveral (you know what that was), Charleston Naval Base (ick), Kings Bay (even more ick), Bangor (another C school, 730 home port), San Diego Naval Base (stuff I cant talk about), Pearl (A what? Port Call? WTF is that?)). Out of all of them, Bangor was by far the nicest base. Lived in Enlisted Housing. Nice 4-plex style accomodations allowing the wives plenty of opportunity to gossip and spy on each other. From the outside, one had to pass through 4 security checkpoints to get onto a boat. And frequent demonstrators. 

God, I loved my job. Good times (mostly).
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 11:06am
Prior to SUBASE, we "locals" always referred to "The Annex" or"The Bangor Annex."

In 1979 I had orders to be Repair Boss on PRECOM Frank Cable.

Called my Detailer and pointed out I had a house just outside the gate, kids in school, Qualified SS, and wanted to be ordered to SUBASE BANGOR  as first Repair Officer.  He said that all SS, O-5, EDOs in the Navy wanted to buy my house.

So off to Cable in New Construction I went enroute Charleston.  Thumbs Down
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic