Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Crushed Styrofoam cups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jim Mandelblatt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crushed Styrofoam cups
    Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 3:28pm
I got a crushed cup when I rode the MAINE in 1998.. it's long since been lost though...

Edited by Jim Mandelblatt - 17 Jul 2018 at 3:29pm
http://ss481.com/
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:57am
I know it was done on NR-1 in the basket. A souvenir of the first deep dive for a newbie. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
enavigator View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enavigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm

I seem to remember an incident aboard a Boomer where a new non-qual LTJG had one of his flip-flop shower shoes strapped into the free flood area of the sail by a QM. 
The result was just the opposite however, the flip-flop expanded to about five times its original size!
It was returned to the Officer with no comment......   
sailor777 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailor777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 3:09am
a friend of mine was stationed on the DSRV and he and the rest of the crew would buy all sorts of styro cups/ware and take  them down during an op.  then give it  to their kids to play with.

gerald buscemi, usn, ret.

(on the  outside of the DSRV)
SPC
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:27am
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/11/heres-what-happens-to-styrofoam-cup-under-deep-seas-crushing-pressure.html

Oceanographers take advantage of crushing, deep-sea pressure to make decorated, shrunken Styrofoam cups as souvenirs and for science outreach. Credit: Courtesy of Diva Amon
Didn't some playful Bubbleheads used to do this in the MBT's, and other spaces exposed to sea pressure? 

Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic