Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Nuke Rated Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuke Rated Ratings
    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:04am

I know that there is Nuc-MM's and Nuc- EM's. Were ET's nuc-rated? Or for that matter any other rating...
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:45am
What is left of the nuc ratings is MM, EM and ET. Gone is IC and long gone is BT.
https://www.navy.com/careers/nuclear-operations
Bgurls View Drop Down
Former CO's
Former CO's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:52am
Longer gone is EN.  In '64 they told me I had to convert to MM.  Took the course, studied up on washers and dryers etc.  Day of the test they handed me an EN1 exam.  Passes and promoted anyway.

SSR269,SS580(CO),SS582(XO),SSBN634,SSBN619,AS18(XO),SUBASE PH(XO),SUBSCHOOL(XO),SUBPAC(FLAG SEC),PERS42(DETAILER), CSS1(Chief Staff Officer)DAV(Life Member)VFW(Life Member)
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 9:54am
It was Admiral Rickover himself that prevented the establishment of an all inclusive Nuclear Operator Rating.  The thought was that the best of the existing ratings that he included really were his Nukes and they would more than hold their own advancement wise.

Had he allowed the Navy to go the other route, Nuke Mechanics would have been competing with Nuke Electrical Types, etc, etc.
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Bgurls Bgurls wrote:

Longer gone is EN.  In '64 they told me I had to convert to MM.  Took the course, studied up on washers and dryers etc.  Day of the test they handed me an EN1 exam.  Passes and promoted anyway.

When I left the navy in Feb of '64 a engine room FN SS later became a EN1 SS. He was later forced, under the threat of surfacing him, to convert to MM. He did and was unable to pass the MMC test and retired as an MM1 SS.
I thought that was pretty harsh.
It's the same as a TMC being forced to convert to a MMC. I spoke to one such chief on the Seawolf who was gonna get out rather then convert to a MM. He had some harsh words for that program...
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:36am
Joe ~
MM (weps) do not compete with other MMs for advancement. There are several different MM communities. Surface, surface Nuc, Submarine Aux, Submarine Weps and Submarine Nuc,
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

Joe ~
MM (weps) do not compete with other MMs for advancement. There are several different MM communities. Surface, surface Nuc, Submarine Aux, Submarine Weps and Submarine Nuc,

Mike
That being the case, then why did they convert half the crew to MM and the other half to ET, when they still have to take tests for promotions in their "old" rating...I sure don't understand that at all. Confused
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:35am
It all seems so confusing now. My son in law is classified an ET although he is in actually a ST and takes a rating exam specifically on sonar topics.

It was so much easier in the 70’s we were all MM’s. Surface, Nuke, and Aux all took the surface exam. Made it easy to make rate when you were competing against the entire fleet. From what I understand since they have segregated the SS rates it is considerably harder to make rate now due to the smaller population.

I did kind of chuckle though when I was talking to an A Ganger on my son in laws boat, (Virginia Class), and he complained that the exam had a lot of questions from other classes of boat. I asked would he rather have questions about steam driven laundry extractors and garbage disposals.
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

Mike
That being the case, then why did they convert half the crew to MM and the other half to ET, when they still have to take tests for promotions in their "old" rating...I sure don't understand that at all. Confused

I'm not sure what you are saying.
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Kwn Kwn wrote:

It all seems so confusing now. My son in law is classified an ET although he is in actually a ST and takes a rating exam specifically on sonar topics.

Makes no sense. There is still an STS community. So he should be an ST taking Sonar exams.

As an FTG I took tests with all sorts of surface fire control systems and radars. We in the submarine community "stole" all sorts of billets for E6 and above from the surface community. We had better evals and far less captain's masts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic