Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Expert Rifleman???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expert Rifleman???
    Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 10:22am
When I was Gun Boss I had a standard speel when Qualifying a guy to Stand Topside Watch with a 45 on his hip.  It included a talk about responsibility and an admonition that if he ever saw that 45 headed over the side in to the drink, he'd better GD well be following it.

Never thought of the situation described in the below Article! 

Edited by SaltiDawg - 30 Jul 2018 at 10:28am
c stafford View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c stafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 10:54am
When I went on active duty and was assigned topside watch, I was told here is your 45 and keep a tight watch. I never even checked to see if the gun was loaded.
No one verified that I knew how to use the 45. I was given a few hours training several years before during Reserve Sub School. 
Chris
USS Barbel, MM2(SS)
USSVI Life
Blueback Base, Life
San Diego Base, Life
Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 11:04am
We required Small Arms certification, including range shooting.  Part of the Watch Relief and Stationing Procedure was to verify Weapon was safe.  This happened to be an SSN AT SUBASE NLON in the 60s and early 70s.

It was the same way on my second Diesel Boat.  I don't think we had a topside watch on the first, the T-1 in Key West.  In fact, I'm not sure we had a 45.  lol

Edited by SaltiDawg - 30 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:32pm
On my first two boat, between '71 and '76 all were had to do was fam fire the .45. About '80 in PacFlt we were required to qualify with .45 and M16 and fam fire the riot gun.

There was an incident on a visiting boomer in Pearl where a QM2 relieved a topside watch and then threatened suicide. We were parked at S9 within sight and range of that boat. I directed the topside watch to remain safely behind the sail. They managed to talk the sailor down but not before he discharged 5 rounds into the harbor.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:45pm
Maybe it was a choice of the CO. We were issued the .45 with a partial magazine load of 5 rounds. The magazine was not inserted in the weapon until needed.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 4:42pm
I also only received 45 training at Hunters Point submarine school before active duty.  I think we shot and had fire training at Treasure Island.
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 5:37pm
When we came back to the States, Weapons Station Charleston, we took the Thompson's, the 45's and the M1 Carbine's to Paris Island on the Navy Bus. We brought everyone we could spare along to allow them to fire them. That was the first time most of the Crew ever really  fired the weapons.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
olded View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:04pm
We got a chance to fire the Thompsons in the 615 boat, many years ago. Surfaced somewhere in the Atlantic, rigged safety lines on the stbd sail plane, and killed a lot of whitecaps, under the very watchful eye of the TM's.
Old Ed
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:23pm
I was being trained as a topside watch, by the topside watch. He talked about all the aspects of the .45. I was very impressed by his knowledge. As he handed me the weapon, he had me describe all the safeties and how to operate them. At some point I asked him what this button was for, as I pressed the button, which ejected the magazine, fortunately for me on the deck. It never slipped in between the deck slats. The topside watch jumped on that thing so fast I thought he was gonna bury himself into the teak decking slats.
He grabbed the gun from my hands, shakily slammed the magazine home and declared training is over for the night.
We both breathed a sigh of relief...
We the crew, use to fire all the weapons while at sea....
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Gil View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 12:35pm
Salt Dawg,
Never heard the term Gun Boss before, but then a lot of terms mentioned here are new to me.  Was this term used on a boat, and what did it consist of?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic