Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

The ribbon that went with it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The ribbon that went with it!
    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 12:25pm
Image result for navy expert rifle ribbon

From my time in service, late sixties to end of seventies, how many folks do you know that held an Navy Expert Rifleman's Ribbon? Even the Pistol Ribbon was few and far between among Bubbleheads. How many with the silver "E" indicating accomplishing the feat I believe  five times, or being a competition shooter. I held both, and was a competition shooter. Gotta love those off crews. Not rubbing things in, just stating how I did it. As I still shot competition when I had shore duty at SIMA Charleston.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 03 Aug 2018 at 2:37pm
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 3:52pm
I was awarded the Navy Expert Rifleman Medal (With E.)  I did not have the Expert Pistol Medal - barely qualified.

I shot the M-1 for my Medal and re-Quals.

sailor777 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailor777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:52pm
I qualed for both m-16 and 45 as expert.  taught ships qual for 45 during my last sea command.
SPC
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

From my time in service, late sixties to end of seventies, how many folks do you know that held an Navy Expert Rifleman's Ribbon? Even the Pistol Ribbon was few and far between among Bubbleheads. How many with the silver "E" indicating accomplishing the feat I believe  five times, or being a competition shooter. I held both, and was a competition shooter. Gotta love those off crews. Not rubbing things in, just stating how I did it. As I still shot competition when I had shore duty at SIMA Charleston.

Now that is impressive, Walt.  And is vastly different from my experience.  When I was in the 3rd ID in Wurzburg my boss, who was a Combat Arms LTC, took me to the range to qualify on the .45.  Of course, I had no side arm and had not been issued one even though I was the Division Psychologist, since psychologists rarely go armed, even in a combat zone, which Wurzburg definitely was not.  So he loaded and handed me his standard issue .45, pointed toward the target and said let's see what you can do.  I figured what the hell, I can do this.  After all, I "qualified" on the .45 in the Navy and used to field strip mine when I got bored on topside watch.  So, I took careful aim and commenced to bracket the target kicking up dirt all around the damned thing and only struck it once . . . and it sure wasn't anywhere near the bulls eye.  If they gave medals for not killing someone while target shooting I would have won it.  So, after grunting something under his breath that was probably derogative, since he was always complaining about those sorry hospital slackers we went back to the office (which of course was in the hospital).  Needless to say he was quite disappointed in my marksmanship and never took me shooting again.  Prior to that sorry performance I thought I was a fairly decent shot.  Guess again, boysan.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 11:29am
I was usually able to hit the hill behind the targets at the range on Subbase in Groton.😉
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 12:07pm
The single half hour session I spent at the Sub Base range firing a few rounds through a .45 1911 when I was on the Edison (1963 -1965) was the sum total of training on the .45 I received during my entire 8 years in the Navy.  It was more a 'familiarization' than qualification.  The only other firearm that I was 'trained' on was the M-1 in boot camp in 1960 where I loaded and fired only a couple of clips.  And, yes, I did get my thumb out the way quickly enough to avoid anything more than a slight scrape. Wink
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 12:50pm
What? I thought all widgets had to have at least one case of M-1 Thumb. You know, until you figured out what the flat of the hand was for. Marines used to tell me you could spot a Navy Garand without checking for the chamber insert by looking for the blood corrosion on the bolt.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic