Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Helm Duty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helm Duty
    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:25pm
As part of my duties in the Seaman Gang I loved the stern and bow planes and the Helm when we were on the open sea.  Better yet being on the surface was great, especially with all the bridge visitors the conversation was always a treat.  The subject of what your girlfriend at home was doing was common fodder.  I even liked snorkeling in rough seas, and being on the planes - no matter what guys would complain about the engine intake closing and the  boat drawing a vacuum.

However, I found out once in open sea I didn't like the helm. As we were approaching Yankee Station on a choppy summer day. we were set to receive supplies from a supply ship.  Also the transfer was to include a case of Budweiser, and three cases of Tiger beer.  Yankee Station was a destination because it was a Combat Zone and if anybody shipped over it was tax free.  Our 2nd class cook in the only one that took advantage of it, and when he settled out it was nearly a wash with what he had coming, and what he owed the Boat's Rec Fund.

It was the only time we did a ship to ship transfer and I was less than three months qualified on the helm  My qual didn't go all that smoothly, and I twice put the helm in the stops due to drifting.
Also, our course changed 3-5 degrees every swell we hit.  I guess the transfer ship had the same problem, but the Pickerel was stuck with the newly watch qualified me.  Scariest fifteen minutes I ever had until I heard the maneuvering watch was being set.

Edited by Gil - 12 Aug 2018 at 8:36pm
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:45am
Having never been on the helm I always wondered about steering and not eyeballing where you're going other than qualifying on instrument "flight". I'm sure it became second nature after awhile.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
c stafford View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c stafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:54am
The only time I has was on the helm was during a Reserve day cruise.
I had minimal training and the OOD was upset because I had the boat doing "S" turns through the ocean.

Chris
USS Barbel, MM2(SS)
USSVI Life
Blueback Base, Life
San Diego Base, Life
Holland Club
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:14pm

Other than quals I was never on the helm.

From my later sailboat days I can attest that it is a lot harder to try and steer to a compass heading then it is to pick a spot/cloud on the horizon and steer towards it.
bob dubois View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob dubois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 4:35am
I did helm and lookout watches on my first boat until I qualified. I enjoyed both espically going through a hurricane.

Bob DuBois SK1(SS)
USS Sailfish SS572
USS Sculpin SSN590
USS John Adams SSBN620(Blue)
Holland Club
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic