Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

USS Ling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USS Ling
    Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 8:10am

Someone stole four memorial plaques for Navy seamen killed in World War II from the USS Ling submarine on the Hackensack River and then flooded the museum, said authorities who were trying to find them.

A caretaker at the River Street museum and memorial summoned police, who found that someone "entered the USS Ling and purposely and forcefully opened numerous hatches throughout the submarine, causing the entire interior of the submarine to flood with river water," Police Capt. Brian Corcoran said.

Taken were four bronze plaques, valued at $10,000, honoring 52 submarines lost in the Second World War, Corcoran said.

"The Hackensack Police Department’s Detective Bureau is investigating this disgraceful incident further, with hopes to locate and prosecute those responsible," the captain said.

Museum officials Leslie Altschuler and Jack Brown noticed that some of the deck guns were out of place and hatches open when they arrived Tuesday.

"This is terrible," said Altschuler, the base commander. "It's a memorial."

The submarine came to Hackensack in 1973 from Brooklyn, where it had been used for Naval Reserve training.

Brown and Altschuler both trained on the boat in the 1960s.

The museum was recently evicted from the property behind the Heritage Diner due to the construction of new housing units next door at the former site of the Bergen Record newspaper.

All of the records and artifacts were supposed to go but the submarine was to remain, they said.

"We don't know how bad the damage is until water gets pumped out," Altschuler said. "It might not be salvageable anymore."

DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:26am
IIRC, there was a thread here a year or two ago.  There was simply no way to move the Ling due to cost and silt that made passage under a bridge impossible?

Edited by SaltiDawg - 15 Aug 2018 at 9:29am
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:35pm
Thought this might be of interest to some . . .

Burglars swam in N.J. river to break into WWII-era submarine, cops say
https://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2018/09/pair_charged_with_burglarizing_uss_ling_a_wwii-era.html

Ghost-hunting shrink turned urban explorer charged in bizarre break-in of N.J. submarine
https://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2018/09/ghost-hunting_shrink_turned_urban_explorer_charged_in_bizarre_break-in_of_nj_submarine.html

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:11am
I hope those swimmers had all their shots up to date, what with the PCP's, dead bodies , tetanus, oil, stinking muck and assorted detritus, otherwise they soon won't be able to go hunting for paranormal ghost images. WinkWinkWink 
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:06pm
You gotta point, Joe.  In fact, after ingesting all of that muck and dreck they will likely BE paranormal ghost images. Smile

But, seriously, what has happened to the Ling is a real shame.  And I hope they punish the burglars to the full extent of the law.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
fortyrod View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Dr. Stan Dr. Stan wrote:

And I hope they punish the burglars to the full extent of the law.

Why do you wish them to be so lenient ? 
Everything is relative
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:01am
Hay, he is a Doc. He has that oath or something like that that prevents him from suggesting Keel Hauling in shark infested waters. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:06pm
Yeah, but I didn't take an oath not to say dumb stuff.  With that in mind, I reckon I should have taken the leniency of the law into account in my response.  But, that is beyond our power to change.  And as long as we keep electing feather merchants to positions of power it will never change.

JrKrup, Skimmer View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKrup, Skimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:38pm
You don't have to keel haul them in shark infested waters. Just under the Ling itself would be good enough.
Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic