Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Recruitment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recruitment
    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 9:11am
The question about two crews, and the comments on three crews two ships, reflects modern society. One of the problems we had in the agricultural industry was recruiting and keeping engineers. Many of our procurement operations were out in the boondocks. Folks didn't want to live and raise families there. They wanted to be where the action was, where they could do everything, and have exposure to everything. They didn't want to have to work overtime, wanted maximum vacations and Holidays, and didn't enjoy the idea of working them on continuous run operations. I imagine it is also true in the Navy these days. That is why I think we are going to see a shift in deployments and quality of family life. The new folks, the ones that are any good at what they do, want to write their own ticket as to work and conditions. To recruit these folks, the military is going to have to rethink things. I believe I first saw it with the elite SEAL's. In Country they were referred to as tourists, because they had three month deployments. What all the reasons behind that were, I am not sure. However, retention was probably one of the reasons. As their stress load was equal to a Force Recon, LRRP, Combat Tracker and SOG. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
c stafford View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c stafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:52am
I have a problem with current recruiting.
The Navy gives the impression that all E2's - E5's can have a wife, kids, and a new car on their monthly pay.
In San Diego, there are wives complaining that they are on food stamps and can't afford clothes for their kids. 
San Diego is an expensive place to live. It is hard to recruit with expectations that do not meet reality.
Chris
USS Barbel, MM2(SS)
USSVI Life
Blueback Base, Life
San Diego Base, Life
Holland Club
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 2:01pm
Is there no current COLA equivalent? I got it in both San Diego and Oahu  during the 60's and early 70's. E5/E6 at the time. Idaho, Groton didn't rate COLA, IIRC.
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 2:29pm
Nothings changed.  Does not anyone recall the Zumwalt decrees?  Six Section, In for the Weekends, return NLT Friday noon, U/W not earlier than 1200 Monday.  (Or similar.)  Two crews pre-dated him, while every swinging SS or SSN person on the river had an operating Tempo well North of 60% PLUS Three Section Duty for THE Crew. Avoid the in port for the weekend requirement by operating for either two weeks or three weeks.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by c stafford c stafford wrote:

In San Diego, there are wives complaining that they are on food stamps and can't afford clothes for their kids. ...
And this is new?

In 1981 before I left Cable, the ship had over 40 Sailors on Food Stamps in Charleston, SC, 25 of which were in my Department It was much worse in Washington, DC, and many if not most Enlisted and Officer left Mama behind and did an unaccompanied tour in DC.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 18 Aug 2018 at 5:54pm
Bob Gawe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Gawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 6:01am
A slight change of subject but following the same line, police agencies are having the same problem in recruiting officers.  Far less people are applying for the profession.  When I started the process you answered a small add in the classified section to get your name on the list for the written test.  Over 5,000 took the written, then came physical, agility, interviews and background investigation.  Thirty eight of us graduated the academy.  Today there is a group in the department who go out and recruit at schools, adds basically begging for people.  Few want to put up with the hardships of difficult positions.
Bob Gawe
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 11:58am
In 1969 I received a $15,000 Bonus for agreeing not to Resign for Four Years!  That was a huge sum of money.  It was that or tie up Submarines.  (I had no intention of resigning, anyway.)

In 2018 Dollars that $15,000 would equate to $104,438.34 - 

Edited by SaltiDawg - 19 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 12:44pm
Re Police.  In the 1960s you likely needed only a HS Diploma, and not always that was a firm requirement.

Many, if not most, Police Departments in my part of the Country now require a Degree, usually at the bachelor  level.  The inflation based salary and benefits are higher now, however my intuition tells me that the personal risk of being shot at by some miscreant now is much greater!

FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:40pm
In 1973 as an E5 over 4 I had a brand new vehicle. Many of my shipmates did; except the goat locker, who all seemed to have 5 year old cars.
In 1980 as an E6 over 11 with a wife and two children I qualified for food stamps.
What is different between then and now?
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

In 1973 as an E5 over 4 I had a brand new vehicle. Many of my shipmates did; except the goat locker, who all seemed to have 5 year old cars.
In 1980 as an E6 over 11 with a wife and two children I qualified for food stamps.
What is different between then and now?
US inflation in the 70's was at its highest rates in the last 70 years: I suspect that explains a lot. Watergate/Nixon, energy crisis, Carter. Wages for most people never recovered. 

ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic