Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Best Ship in the Atlantic Fleet!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Ship in the Atlantic Fleet!
    Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 4:04pm
Vice Adm. Chas Richard, left, commander of Submarine Forces, on behalf of Adm. Chris Grady, commander of the U.S. Fleet Forces, says a few words Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018, during a pier-side ceremony to present the crew of the USS Hartford (SSN 768) the 2017 Battenberg Cup Award at the Naval Submarine Station in Groton. USS Hartford commanding officer, Cmdr. Matt Fanning, right, stands in front of his crew. The USS Hartford was selected as "Best All-Around Ship in the Atlantic Fleet." The award is based on outstanding crew achievement and an exceptional level of operational effectiveness. (Dana Jensen/The Day)

Groton — Embroidered on the crew's blue ball caps, next to the submarine's motto, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead," is a small trophy, a nod to the coveted award they've received.

But other than that small insignia, the crew does not intend to boast about their boat being selected as the best all-around warship in the Navy's Atlantic fleet — not a surprise from sailors who signed up to be part of the silent service.

My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Dave595 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 5:35pm
EM1(SS)
USS PLUNGER (SSN-595)
HOLLAND Club
USSVI LIFE Member
Blueback Base, Rogue-Umpqua Base, Olympic Peninsula Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:57am
I guess no one stands at parade rest anymore except the C.O. Funny what one notices in a photo...Wink
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 9:03am
They all have their hands positioned in the same way, at least in the front. Maybe the Navy changed "parade rest" hand position. I still don't care for the pajamas. Great occasion calls for dress canvas.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Tom McNulty Tom McNulty wrote:

... Great occasion calls for dress canvas.

Agree completely, Tom.  Lots of ither occasions.

Years ago I was walking inthe gate at EB in Groton wearing Khackis and a foul weather jacket enroute to work on Pargo being built at the yard.  (Capt Yogi Kayfman, PCO on Will Rogers, spotted me and wrote me up and called my XO.)

Months later I was an usher at the Commissioning of Will Rogers, last of the 41 - I wore the High Collar Service Dress White to the ceremony.

Funny, when comuting to SUBASE we had to Slide our Foul Weather Jackets off so the Marine Guards would only see our short Sleeve Khacki shirts and pass us thru... freezing in January.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic