Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

For you really old guys...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For you really old guys...
    Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:10am
I posted this on Gentry's board also, figuring I'd get a good recollection of what I'm asking. Not saying all you old guys are suffering from CRS!

When I attended sub school in '61 our chow hall was a small building up on the hill fairly close to our barracks. When I was up in Groton for a USSVI birthday bash a few years ago, some of us ate in a large, fairly new, it seemed, chow hall which I believe was on the lower base some where. Any of you guys stationed at Groton after sub school remember a chow hall for the rest of the base? Where was it???
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:35pm
I went through Sub School later 1963. The chow hall was on the lower base. I don't recall the exact location street wise but it wasn't too far from the Commissary. I think I ate there once. Mostly bagged ass into town or catch the guys making the runs to the local deli's.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:51pm
I went to sub school in1961 (Section 335, Class 236) and graduated in Sept.  I don't remember the chow hall being on the lower base.  But, I don't remember it being all that close to the barracks, either.  I seem to remember it being sort of at the bottom of the hill and a little way to the east (or left as you are looking down the hill).  But it wasn't all the way down to the lower base.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Bob Gawe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Gawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm
1963 The mess was a short walk from the FBM barracks down the hill but not on the lower base.
Bob Gawe
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:46pm
I blew it. It was located at the bottom of the steps leading up the hill to the FBM barracks. Not on the lower base which is what I used to call anything at the bottom of the hill.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:30am
I remember the steps leading to the chow hall. I was standing in line outside the chow hall when a classmate who was on line inside the hall yelled to me that I had a telegram on my bunk. I new it had to be about my wife having a baby. Sure enough it was. A boy, who is now 57 years old. How did he get so old so fast??Confused
I do remember the the Nuke school being somewhere in the vicinity...
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Dr. Stan Dr. Stan wrote:

I went to sub school in1961 (Section 335, Class 236) and graduated in Sept.  I don't remember the chow hall being on the lower base.  But, I don't remember it being all that close to the barracks, either.  I seem to remember it being sort of at the bottom of the hill and a little way to the east (or left as you are looking down the hill).  But it wasn't all the way down to the lower base.

Stan,
Since you mentioned your class # and date you graduated from Sub School, I had to check mine, which was 235, 335. We graduated the same month in Sept '61. I checked the class photos in USSVI and saw your class. It was listed after mine, but I guess we graduated the same date, which of course I can;t remember. I know I had a two week leave and then reported to Sirago in Norfolk, Va. Damn, were we young. I had just turned 20.
The directions to the chow hall you described above is how I remember it too.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
sailor777 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailor777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:52pm
the only time I went to the lower base was during duty days and going to the escape tower for evening cleanup.
SPC
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

Stan,
Since you mentioned your class # and date you graduated from Sub School, I had to check mine, which was 235, 335. We graduated the same month in Sept '61. I checked the class photos in USSVI and saw your class. It was listed after mine, but I guess we graduated the same date, which of course I can;t remember. I know I had a two week leave and then reported to Sirago in Norfolk, Va. Damn, were we young. I had just turned 20.
The directions to the chow hall you described above is how I remember it too.

Yes, Joe, believe it or or not, we were young once . . . and we have the photos to prove it.  In the Summer of '61 I was just 18 and been in the Navy for one whole year and was just beginning to learn which way is up.  I remember having the graduation photo taken, but I have no idea what date it was taken or the exact date I graduated.  I remember many of the faces in the photo, but can't recall a single name.  I wish I could. 

I had orders to the Queenfish in San Diego and stopped at home for a week or so on the way.  Qualified in Apr 62.  But, since I was a nukiepoo I was soon sent on to Nuke school and eventually the nuke Navy.  BTW, thanks to the Navy I finally figured which way was up.  Which, ironically, led to my leaving the Navy.  But, that's a different tale.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic