Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

SCRAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCRAM
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:47pm

Found this on USS Scamp FaceBook page.

ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 8:21am
It breaks up the monotony of watch standing and field days. Except for the rate listed above and the Wardroom crowd.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:21pm
OK, what's an ELT. I guess he would be a maneuvering room watch. Confused
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 1:21pm
I believe he's an Electronics Lab Technician. It's a Nuke thing. He takes care of radiation monitoring values particularly our Film Badges. Has other duties also. The lab location on my boats was located next to sick bay or the YN's office.
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 2:29pm
I think the correct name is Engineering Lab Technician.
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 4:59pm
On our boat the lab was in Missel middle level by the Doc's and the engineering library. You could usually find the Lead Elt hanging out there doing something or another to keep him off the watch bill. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
gcconnor1 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcconnor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:05pm
Engineering Lab Technician. In the 60’s the ELT’s stood MM Warches!!!!!
GC Connor EMC(SS)/LT USN Ret
USS Ethan Allen(7)
Holland Club WA2STJ
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:14pm
I sit t. "Engineering". What did I know. My Weps Dept Library was the last office aft in MLMC Port side.
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Kwn Kwn wrote:

I think the correct name is Engineering Lab Technician.

Bingo! MM nukes generally filled that billet, after specialized radio-chemistry training.
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 1:04pm
Some of my best friends were ELT's (Eng. Lab Tech.) and they were all MM's.  They had to go to a special school for ELT training (or specialized radio-chemistry training, as Flapper said).  He was not on the usual watch bill with the rest of M Div., similar to the engineering log room yeoman, a position which I had the pleasure of occupying on my last patrol on the Edison.  The ELT would come into the AMR2UL and sample water from the steam generators, I believe, once a day; but he could have come around when I wasn't on watch.  He sampled other things elsewhere and I think he was responsible for monitoring CO2 levels, etc., and the air sniffers in Control.  But, as I recall, he was mainly interested in water chemistry in the engineering spaces as well as radiation levels in water and air.  Leaks of radioactive contamination would be a major hazard in a closed atmosphere and could be indicative of leaks from systems like the main coolant system, for example.  And that was the last thing anybody wanted.  He would collect our film badges and dosimeters occasionally and record our radiation exposure levels.  I think he was involved in setting up a clean area and monitoring our radiation exposure or contamination when we entered/exited the reactor compartment, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.  It has been over 50 years, since I actually stood an AMR2UL or RPCP watch, entered a reactor compartment or stepped foot on a submarine.  Lot of water under the bridge since then.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic