Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Impossible ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impossible ????
    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 11:12am
Watched a program last nite (don't remember the full name of the show) about the building of the Virginia class boat. How they got the shape of it, ( the Albacore) to it's reactor and living environment. A very well done show. They were building the 788 boat at the time of filming. I realize many of you guys know about this since you may have been on a nuke. But to those of us that haven't, it's all "Flash Gordon" stuff. The thing I don't understand is the photo thingy, that takes the place of the periscope. How can that not be seen when they raise it. It's big and fat and it's profile is about 10x larger (wider) then an attack scope. Can anyone explain...without giving away to much?
Much in awe of the Virginia Class...Sure wish I could take a ride on one. ClapClap
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:09pm
You'd think she was still tied to the pier what with the lack of noise you were used to.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
3boatphil View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boatphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 5:07am

From what I know about the photonics mast, they do not have to leave it up for too long. It takes a 360 degree photo. Then they can lower it, and zoom in on any part of the screen, to see what it looks like on the surface. There was a display about it at the Sub Force museum in Groton a few years ago.  I think Kollmorgen makes them; they made a lot of scopes, just up the road from where I live.

Edited by 3boatphil - 23 Mar 2019 at 5:12am
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 7:57am
Amazing, WWII Radar could pick up a german periscope. Now we have something a lot bigger, coming up against wildly advanced technology, and it can't be found? Must have the same technology as a stealth bomber. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
JrKrup, Skimmer View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKrup, Skimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 1:42pm
Think of it this way, Joe. You want to take a photo of someone around the corner. Get the camera ready, poke it out, push the shutter button, and pull it back. The time that it was visible around the corner is minimized.
From what I understand, the new mast can be raised, take a 360° photo, save it to the computer and, and be retracted in a matter of seconds, then the photo can be analyzed at leisure from the monitors. Plus, as said above, the mast itself has stealth capabilities so as not to be visible on radars.

Where with the old periscope it had to be rotated to see what was up there, the Captain had to visually analyze what he saw. That took much more time.  

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer - 23 Mar 2019 at 1:43pm
Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
Curt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 5:28pm
Thanks,
Curt
3boatphil View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boatphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:03pm
Laser range finders,infra-red camera, definitely Star Wars stuff. What next, "Use the Force, Luke"  when you have the Fire Control Tracking Party stationed? 
 Something else to think about: Boats no longer have propellers, they have Propulsors. 

Edited by 3boatphil - 23 Mar 2019 at 8:07pm
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:04am
Just a Sunday ping. Boats had screws not propellers. Have a good one.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Curt Curt wrote:

This is interesting

"Images are recorded on both video cassette and CD-ROM."

This part already seems like old technology.

Updated since the article was written?

Edited by 610ET - 24 Mar 2019 at 1:58pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:08pm
Next thing we'll read is that they are using Xbox 360 Contollers to control the new  Photonics Masts.

Oh, wait.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 24 Mar 2019 at 4:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic