Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Impossible ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

Watched a program last nite (don't remember the full name of the show) about the building of the Virginia class boat. How they got the shape of it, ( the Albacore) to it's reactor and living environment. A very well done show. They were building the 788 boat at the time of filming. I realize many of you guys know about this since you may have been on a nuke. But to those of us that haven't, it's all "Flash Gordon" stuff. The thing I don't understand is the photo thingy, that takes the place of the periscope. How can that not be seen when they raise it. It's big and fat and it's profile is about 10x larger (wider) then an attack scope. Can anyone explain...without giving away to much?
Much in awe of the Virginia Class...Sure wish I could take a ride on one. ClapClap

Wonder if the idea of a radar picket submarine will be revisited.. given the use of photonic masts, etc.

And Joe, perhaps you can ride DELAWARE (SSN-791) Wink
http://ss481.com/
mpullen View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:12pm
Back in the early 80's while on COMSUBRON 10 staff, I attended a classified conference at the COMSUBLANT compound. We were split into various task groups, each covering a specific design requirement for the future Virginia class. I sat with a group of 6 O-4 thru O-6 tasked with the propulsor design. As a lowly E-8 nuke, I suggested a shrouded propulsor similar to the SPM motor. Guess what? It's part of the ship design now. Also several other discussion groups that included the optical mast, moving ships control to MLOPS since no hull penetrations for masts, and fly-by-wire navigation.

Oh yeh, the billeting officer wanted to put me in the Chiefs Barracks for the duration of the conference. My deputy squadron commander (O-6) nixed that and we stayed at a nice hotel off base.
Mike Pullen EMCS(SS) USN (Ret)
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:03am
Originally posted by mpullen mpullen wrote:

Back in the early 80's while on COMSUBRON 10 staff, I attended a classified conference at the COMSUBLANT compound...

Interesting. At that time - 1981-1984 I was the Director of Ship Silencing and thus responsible for the Development and R&D of Submarine Propulsors and establishing Quieting Requirements for OPNAV of all then Current and then future Submarine designs.
When I Retired in 1984 I continued in these fields for twelve more years.

An exciting time.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 13 May 2019 at 2:05pm
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:43pm
We may have crossed paths.  I worked for BBN from 82 to 99.
Be Well
Oldsubs
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by oldsubs oldsubs wrote:

We may have crossed paths.  I worked for BBN from 82 to 99.

Unless I have confused my dates, one Claim To Fame for BB&N in the late 70s or early 80s was the analysis of the audiotape surrounding the gunshots at the Grassy Knoll in Dallas in November 1963.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 11 May 2019 at 11:21am
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 2:58pm
Tis true about the analysis.  And investigating the acoustics of Carnegie Hall when it started to go bad in the late 60s. 

However the group I was associated with at New London, Newport (RI) and Cambridge (MA) was comprised of leading acoustics experts working with silencing projects from enginerooms to hull coatings.  Mainly structural acoustics using finite element analysis and real time active noise and vibration control.  Some of the group were the same folks who developed the 'packet switch' for ARPA which led to mainframe computers and later desktops to 'talk' to each other (internet). 

It was a pleasure to work with these folks whose smarts and common sense approach to submarine silencing projects was a wonder to watch and take part in.

I'd describe some of the specific things we worked on but there are some folks waving papers that I signed telling me not to go there. 

If you worked at NavSea offices when they were over near Crystal City, then we may have been in the same building maybe at the same time.  Kind of like knowing each other because we 'went to different high schools together''.

Be Well
Oldsubs
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 4:03pm
I was The Director Of Ship Silencing.  NAVSEA - 05H.  Crystal City CM-4 Ground Floor, Corner Glass Office., opposite Marriot.   Best view on the block... one way glass, watching girls primping in their reflection on the glass.  lol

If your tasks were funded thru NSRDC, it almost assuredly was my money.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 11 May 2019 at 4:05pm
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:51pm
Ok then, we got some of your money, some of ONR's money and others.  Not enough though (from our point of view).  Working through the days after the Soviet Union rolled over and the world didn't need as many 'blue water' submarines was interesting.  The days of 'make it better (quieter)' to weighing dB/$ taught me a lot.  I held on to the sale of several of the sections and the formation of new companies with some of our folks going there.

Looking back, it was a great time.  Just like 'the old boats'.  You just gotta forget 'watering batteries' in the South China Sea. 

Thanks for your help in making the submarine force the 'silent service'.

Be Well
Oldsubs
mpullen View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 2:04pm
I believe I can provide some input to this topic.

Back in the 80's, while on SUBRON 10 staff, I was "invited" by the squadron deputy to accompany him to a month long conference at the COMSUBLANT enclosure.

First pain was when we arrived, the billeting office wanted to put me in the Chief transit barracks. My O-6 stated "hell no, squadron is paying for his TAD and we will stay in a nearby motel". Guess who won?

Anyway, when the conference started, we were broken into work groups, each assigned to a specific area of the new submarine design. I was assigned to the propulsor (propeller) work group. After a day or two of bouncing various designs around, I suggested that we use the shrouded propulsor design of the Secondary Propulsion Motor (SPM). Shroud designed to reduce cavitation and increase efficiency. So, I guess I am the daddy of that design on the Virginia class.

The moving of operations to middle level was also introduced. With the photonics mast and no other sail hull penetrations, it was logical and allowed moving all operations oriented groups in the same area. We didn't see the "fly-by-wire" ships control concept, so that came later.

Wish I had kept the notes from the conference, but they had to be sent by courier to SUBRON 10 and kept in a SECRET safe in operations on the Fulton.

Not bad for an EMCS(SS) who was also the SUBLANT battery inspector and the SUBLANT 6L16 Oxygen Generator inspector and a member of the SUBRON 10 Propulsion Examination Team.

Mike Pullen EMCS(SS) USN (Ret)
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 3:45pm
Sounds familiar....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic