Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

SSGN-587 USS Halibut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSGN-587 USS Halibut
    Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:41pm
Reposted from H.I. Sutton via Reddit

Cutaway view of USS Halibut. Not so long ago, this was classified. Times, they are a-changin'.

Warning: HUGE image ahead!

Any of you guys have any UNCLAS stories about Halibut?
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:40pm
Halibut found the wreck of K-129 ~15,000 ft down about 1500 nm NW of Pearl. This presaged Project Azorian in which at least a portion of K129 was recovered. That mission earned  one of Halibut's  Presidential Unit commendations.
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 9:31pm
I had forgotten about Halibut's involvement in that. Thanks for the reminder!
MT2/SS
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 5:02pm
What little I know about her, I have been told never to mention, or better yet forget that I know anything. I guess that is still in effect. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:11pm
Deleted by poster.  lol

Edited by SaltiDawg - 06 May 2019 at 9:46pm
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:34pm
I can neither confirm nor deny that I can neither confirm nor deny.
MT2/SS
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:21am
Thanks for that cutaway. It always amazes me to see a two level living sub. Our 2nd level was the bilges, which could be considered my 2nd level of living...Cry
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

Thanks for that cutaway. It always amazes me to see a two level living sub. Our 2nd level was the bilges, which could be considered my 2nd level of living...Cry

So, Joe.  What you are saying is you were what was commonly referred to as a Bilge Rat, which in some quarters is a badge of honor.  Kudos . . . Big smile Thumbs Up

The Halibut was a Helluva Boat.  And it must have had a helluva crew, too.  I read about the adventures of the Halibut in "Blind Man's Bluff", much of which was a revelation to me.  Radically different from anything I experienced.  But, very impressive. 

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 3:10pm

It always amazes me to see a two level living sub.

What about boats with three levels plus the lower flats?
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

It always amazes me to see a two level living sub.

What about boats with three levels plus the lower flats?

Those are called aircraft carriers....Wink
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic