Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

No Smoking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Smoking
    Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:43am
The VA recently announced a "NO SMOKING" policy on any of its facilities.  Am my local VA they have to go outside or into one of several smoking sheds they have built that will change by October 1st! 
What are your thoughts? You can die or get severely injured in the line of duty but you cannot smoke?. 
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 9:51am
I can remember when folks smoked just about wherever they wanted to. Now I never really smoked, I tried it and didn't like it. I would smoke a grody parote cigar, the old grape vine looking ones, when a certain EOOW had the watch. Kept him confined as he couldn't stand the smell. When he was being particularly abusive of the watchstanders in maneuvering I would relieve them for a piss break and shortly thereafter the EOOW requested a relief and spent a good deal of time in the head. I was far from the only one that did that. One EWS even begged cigars off of me. Funny he never qualified on our boat and after one run was transferred to another Sub. I heard his whole attitude changed and he became decent to work with, not for. I still enjoy a good cigar on Veteran's Day and Memorial Day. As to banning smoking, it seems to be the wave of the times. I question when folks talk about the damage second hand smoke does, as we were definitely heavily exposed to secondhand smoke. Don't tell me the BS about the filters. I spent as much time as any of you scrubbing the nicotine staining off the bulkheads prior to coming in. However it is now apt to get you ostracized. Surprised it took so long, as it has been a standard for many industries for years.  

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 13 Jul 2019 at 4:48pm
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:53am
When I served, I smoked everything, from cigars to pipes to cigarettes and inhaled it all. I think that even if I didn't smoke at that time everyone else did so I did inhale smoke from other guys smoking.
I quit soon after I was discharged so I've been smoke free for 50 years or so. Healthiest thing I ever did.
We used to say the same about the drinking age....which was 21. I'm 19 or 20 serve in the Navy but can't have a beer. What's with that. Remember those arguments? I do. We never thought about smoking in the same way though. Smoking was a socially acceptable then, it's definitely not today.
What we know about smoking today, I cannot see any reason to smoke....
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

I can remember when folks smoked just about wherever they wanted to. Now I never really smoked, I tried it and didn't like it. I would smoke a grody parote cigar, the old grape vine looking ones, when a certain EOOW had the watch. Kept him confined as he couldn't stand the smell. When he was being particularly abusive of the watchstanders in maneuvering I would relieve them for a piss break and shortly thereafter the EOOW requested a relief and spent a good deal of time in the head. I was far from the only one that did that. One EWS even begged cigars off of me. 

I remember those Parodi cigars.  One of the guys on the Edison used to smoke them.  Tried one once.  Nasty things.  I preferred Dutch Masters President cigars or unfiltered Pall Malls.

Second hand smoke is a real thing.  On the Queenfish (SS-393), a non-snorkel boat, the smoke was usually so thick in the control room while we were at sea that it resembled a smoky bar.  Once (1962) we had to stay submerged for, as I recall, 18 hours (might have been 24 hrs.) and the air was so thick with smoke they finally put out the smoking lamp and told us to lay in our bunks.  It was some kind of test or something dictated by some agency which I don't remember (I was an E-3 NQP, nobody told me nuthin'). My first nuke (Edison) was like the Hilton by comparison . . . freshly made air, lots of water to drink or shower in available anytime and lots of good food and a nice lounge we called the crews mess where you could play cards or cribbage almost anytime and where food appeared every 4 hours.  And even though the majority of the crew smoked it was magically whisked away by the efficient ventilation system and cleaned for reuse by the electrostatic filters and CO2 scrubbers and H2 burners and replenished from our very own O2 generator.  Whatta life.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
gcconnor1 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcconnor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:25am
The 608 had 11 Electrostatic Smoke Eaters. No second hand smoke. 1964-1969 I can’t remember few or any cigar smokers. Had a few pipe smokers.
GC Connor EMC(SS)/LT USN Ret
USS Ethan Allen(7)
Holland Club WA2STJ
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:42pm
I smoked until 1997.  But back in the 60's on a boomer patrol I decided to quit.  But not being totally crazy, I bought a pipe and tobacco and didn't buy any cigs on the tender.  Two weeks on patrol and I was buying cigs for 3 times their value and tossed the piped when we finally surfaced into the ocean. 
But my point was I think it unfair to those with trauma from other causes to cut them off.  Yes I understand about 2nd hand smoke etc, but I don't think our current vets need this additiional aggravation.
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
JrKrup, Skimmer View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKrup, Skimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:19pm
I was on a surface ship and could go out on deck to get a breath of fresh air. But my duty station was below decks, and being the only non-smoker is a roomful of huffers and puffers, it was hell trying to get away from them. Just get away from them. Even in the mess decks, berthing spaces or on watch, there was no escape. On the weather deck seems you were always downwind from someone polluting the periphery.

When I got out, I applauded companies who banned smoking in certain areas, and was elated when hospitals banned smoking anywhere. If you can't breath clean air in a hospital, then there is something wrong. Now that the V.A. has banned smoking, the tobacco addicts can no longer inflict their brand of poison on everybody else. You go to  the hospital to get well, not get sick.
Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic