Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

4500# high Pac air compressor relief

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4500# high Pac air compressor relief
    Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 6:53pm
I seemed to always be the one of those that got blessed with rebuilding the Ingersoll Rand piston air compressor at sea. This run we were doing one in the Hipac Bay ERLL. It was the Port one we were disassembling. We had a newly qualified ERLL Watch Stander. They ordered up a 2 compressor charge. I was half in the bilge, forward side trying to loosen the flare nut. So the watchstander checks his lineup and starts the Hipac. Shortly thereafter the relief lifts on the high pressure side. That had to have been about the loudest sound I ever heard. I wound up with some torn up knuckles, a good head bump and shook up nerves. I often wondered why we never heard from sonar. I would have thought they would have definitely detected that. After that, I always kept a careful eye on what the watchstander was doing while I worked on a Hipac. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

... I often wondered why we never heard from sonar. I would have thought they would have definitely detected that. ...

Just curious.  If an Air Charge was ordered, why would Sonar have contacted you?  Seems actually the COW would have alerted Sonar.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 18 Aug 2019 at 8:25am
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:05am
I didn't mean the air charge, I meant the noise from that relief lifting. My ears rang for several days.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:40am
We had a union coupling crack on one of the missile tube 4500# air lines. That sound certainly caused a couple weeks of being hard of hearing. I know what you went through. It was loud enough to almost make one puke.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic