Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

The After Battery Rat by Dex Armstrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 7:00am
Gerry,

Wouldn't mind at all.. go for it. Being a webslinger by trade, I have all the tools to modify PDFs, etc.
http://ss481.com/
chiefjoe View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiefjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 8:31pm
Thank YOU to each and everyone who saved these FAMOUS missives from DEX.  I didn't meet him until I retired from the Navy but was most fortunate to make his acquaintance and friendship over the last 4 years of his life. 

When I was inducted into the Holland club a submarine captain (4 striper not CO) was the guest speaker who welcomed the new members into the position.  He was not aware the DEX had been a member of our base until he passed away.  And just by chance he chose one of DEX's missives to regale us with.  He did his best.  When I was given a chance to speak I had to explain that DEX never fount the enter button, or it was missing on his keyboard.  Punctuation was not his strong suit as it seemed to deter the themes he conveyed.

I did complement the Captain that he completed his speech.  I allowed as with not punctuation there is nowhere for the speaker to breath and most readers of his works pass out before completion.

I miss him and take great pleasure that you folks ensured his words (which can bring the smell of diesel fumes and oil to those old codgers.  And his love of the craft can be passed on to the newer arrivals.

THANK YOU!!!

Chiefjoe
chiefjoe
Jim Mandelblatt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 6:59am
ChiefJoe...

I had the pleasure of meeting Dex in 1992 at a surplus place in Springfield VA (a story behind that).. he was the first enlisted REQUIN vet I met, as I was starting out my research on REQUIN (a story behind that).. we soon became friends.

Though he wasn't everyone's cup of tea.... he was one of those true character types (he christened my wife, who was from Durban, South Africa the Duchess of Durban) that one rarely meets... I sure miss him.
chiefjoe View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiefjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:15am
I agree with all your observations on our DEX.

I pray you, your wife and your entire tribe are hale and hearty.  My the virus pass you by, unscathed.

Chiefjoe (Joe Phoenix)

SS-324
SS-246
DDG 19
SSBN 620
SSBN 632
AS 33
AS 19
USSAMA
3ACR
SPG
chiefjoe
Jim Mandelblatt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:26pm
And the same to you and yours..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic